Menu

Spanish 4 or More

If your student has studied Spanish to level 4 or greater at home, how did they do this?

My dd did Spanish 1 at the local high school last year. She was in the gifted program when she was in school, up to 3rd grade, and continued to do the one day a week gifted program when she was homeschooling, from 4th grade. The school allows middle school students, who are doing well academically, to take foreign language classes at the high school. Last year, in 7th gr, dd took Spanish 1. This year she could take Spanish 2. However, as mentioned in a previous thread, the course was not very fast paced and only covered approx 2/3 of other Spanish 1 courses. My dd really wants to learn the language well and feels like she could progress faster at home. I've been able to borrow and buy some BJU Spanish 1 and 2 books to use. We would have to cover the things not covered in the school course she took first, and then proceed with Spanish 2. I'm just wondering how feasible it is to study this to a higher level later on and I see that BJU only goes up to Spanish 3.

I would really appreciate hearing from others who have been able to study Spanish to a high level. I'm finding it so difficult to decide whether we should proceed with studying this at home or if it would be better for her to continue this one course at the high school. In the back of my mind, though, is the thought that if the school Spanish 1 course is behind, then this will only get worse as she continues to study there. I just found out today that the class she was in was the 'advanced' class, yet it was still so slowly paced. Don't know what to do for the best, so would appreciate any advice or insight anyone has.

Thanks

My dd is enrolled in Spanish 4 this year at a local private school. When she met with the teacher, the teacher said she is "overqualified" for the class and that her conversational skills were higher than any other Spanish 4 student she (the teacher) has taught.

There are a couple components of language learning to address:

--Speaking and hearing: This can only be done by speaking the language with an expert or a native speaker, frequently. Many parents assume that Rosetta Stone or a similar program will help their student learn a language. Those programs can really only teach a student to pass grammar tests. They are limited by how scripted they are and because they simply do not cover the sheer volume of material that reading/speaking/hearing do.

--Grammar and vocabulary: Textbooks are fine for this. Some are better than others. With any language, it's best to see the language as an entire, interdependent system rather than a series of disconnected words or rules. For that reason I advocate higher-level texts that push a larger volume of memorization and usage. The quicker the student is really using the language, the quicker they learn the language. It becomes easier to memorize the vocab and grammar rules the more the student has under his/her belt.

--Reading and media: These are two tools that are an essential aid to the immersion process. Start with children's books from the library and move up from there. Do not worry about translating every word. Rather, read for general comprehension first, then go back a second time to translate what confused you. Also watch movies or TV shows. It helps to have Spanish subtitles as well (NOT English). Sometimes seeing the words helps the ear decode what it hears.

What we did:

We started with RS but quickly realized that dd was compartmentalizing the language to a computer game and not able to integrate it to real life. We switched to tutoring with a friend who has a degree in Spanish and lived in Spain for many years. My friend started from day one speaking mostly Spanish to my dd. We did class with my friend twice a week and homework on the other days. My dh also speaks Spanish with the kids in a basic way daily.

The biggest boost to dd's Spanish ability was our involvement with 121Spanish. It's an internet tutoring service. Google it. The tutors are excellent, and the work of speaking for a whole hour, in Spanish, twice per week, brought dd's Spanish ability up by leaps and bounds. This is the number one best investment I have ever made educationally.

Dd also took Spanish 2 and Spanish 3 with a local homeschool class. Ordinarily once-per-week classes are totally inadequate for really learning a language. In our case, we had an exceptionally gifted teacher (he's a polyglot, good with teens, and required a minimum of an hour's work each day). That class provided the disciplined grammar instruction and vocabulary progression, and dd also continued to meet with 121Spanish twice per week. It was a magic combination.

After completing Spanish 3 dd achieved a high score on a CLEP. The next year she wanted to learn French, so for Spanish she took a much lighter class involving reading assignments (including a novel), writing short essays, and Bible study. She continued to chat with 121Spanish tutors as well.

We did the same for French. Dd meets with an online tutor for conversation twice per week, and she attended a once per week class for grammar and vocabulary. For both languages, dd is expected to read books, watch movies, and converse.

Thank you Harriet Vane - the information you shared is very useful. I think I remember reading before about your dd's on-line tutor. I was wondering, at what stage did your dd start working with the tutor? My dd has only completed the high school Spanish 1 course, which was limited, and is quite shy. I'm wondering how she would do with this and when would be the best time to start it. My niece-in-law is from Mexico and we are going to try to have dd chat to her on a regular basis. It is very interesting and helpful to read your progression and how you achieved it. I would like dd to do some sort of test/exam in the future, so I would like to get this right.

Spanish 4 should be more of a literature class. I don't know about a program, but I would move her towards that direction.

Do you know what a Spanish 5 or 6 course would entail? The local high school said that they are going to be offering these courses but I don't know what they would be like.

Thank you Harriet Vane - the information you shared is very useful. I think I remember reading before about your dd's on-line tutor. I was wondering, at what stage did your dd start working with the tutor? My dd has only completed the high school Spanish 1 course, which was limited, and is quite shy. I'm wondering how she would do with this and when would be the best time to start it. My niece-in-law is from Mexico and we are going to try to have dd chat to her on a regular basis. It is very interesting and helpful to read your progression and how you achieved it. I would like dd to do some sort of test/exam in the future, so I would like to get this right.

When dd was 12yo we went to Guatemala for almost two weeks. While we were there we participated in a language school in Antigua every morning. The tutors there are also a part of 121Spanish. My daughter loved her tutor in Guatemala, so we were overjoyed to have the opportunity to continue with her via Skype.

I wouldn't worry about your dd's shyness at all. The 121Spanish tutors are professionals, and they are very adept at helping people talk. Dd is more of an introvert herself, but both she and ds have always been comfortable with the 121Spanish tutors. My ds' Spanish was far more basic than dd's when he started with 121Spanish, and he was only 8yo at the time. It has always been fine.

Several of the instructor bios mention being good with beginners, so you might start with one of them.

I would advise starting with a conversation tutor right away. It will actually make Spanish 2 easier, not harder. Yes, she will feel a little lost at first, but the smiling, friendly tutor will put her at ease and she will find her feet.

Do you know what a Spanish 5 or 6 course would entail? The local high school said that they are going to be offering these courses but I don't know what they would be like.

At this level the Spanish courses are primarily literature study, speeches, and lots of conversation. Some offer a grammar component; others do not.