Menu

Latin- Ecclesiastical vs. Classical

angelmama1209

If you attend a church that uses Latin in its services, ecclesiastical would be useful. If you don't, classical is more useful (it's what would be used in a university course).

I chose classical for my kids (our church services are only in the language of people attending, so no Latin unless an ancient Roman shows up :D).

just noticed in your siggy that you're using lively latin. that's what we'll be using, too! any hints or tips?

Find that thread on printing Lively Latin for the extreme conservationist. I printed out a workbook and bound it. I put sticky tabs where the second go and stuck the syllabus up front, with checkboxes. Now it's open and go, and we don't lose anything out have to file anything.

thanks, but wow. that was just one big jumble of mumbo jumbo to my tired pregnant mommy brain. we haven't started yet so maybe it will make more sense in a while? i was hoping to print out only the consumable pages and just do the rest online. option #2 is dh can take it to work and have it printed there.

We use ecclesiastical because we attend a Latin Mass and because i like the sound of it better. My son did 2 years of church Latin while homeschooling, but he went to private school for high school. All they offered was classical, and he caught on quickly.

ok, what would be the benefit of keeping all the sections separate? as opposed to just double sided printing the whole book?

Sometimes you need to look back at something in history or vocabulary, and if it's in the original order, good luck finding it. :D

I'm confused by the question, really.   Ecclesiastical Latin is not a different language from classical Latin (there are a few minor pronunciation differences, that's it).  With a program like Memoria Press you might get more vocabulary words that pertain to the early Church, but it's not like making the choice between Spanish and Italian.

We're starting our kids with Memoria Press (we like the idea of learning Latin prayers, for example, since we are Catholic), but are planning to continue to a program using more classical texts a few years from now.   My husband (who has a Ph.D. in Classics) and I are not worried about any transition--it's just that with Memoria Press we'll get a different vocabulary base than a program that uses classical (pagan) texts. 

We started with Ecclesiastical then switched to classical.

We are studying Latin for the vocabulary and logic benefits. I started with ecc thinking I'd take the kids to a Latin Catholic mass to hear spoken Latin. I'm finding more resources in classical so I switched. On the off chance my kids pursue Latin beyond grade school it should be an easy transition.

Another vote for Classical albeit a weak vote :-)