Menu

Question for those using Spelling Workout

planner

I'm curious what percentage of words your child is able to spell correctly on the warmup test.  We just started with Spelling Workout this year and ds spelled 9 out of twenty words correctly.  Normally, he does better on spelling pretests and I'm wondering if I have placed in the correct level.  I don't want him to feel frustrated with the program.

My oldest used Spelling Workout, but he is 22yo now and I just don't remember.

In the past my youngest has only used MCP Plaid Phonics and Word Study. This is the first year that I have used MCP Spelling Workout with my youngest and we are only on lesson 2, so I take this with a grain of salt. We are using both Spelling Workout and Plaid Phonics. At level F, they both seem to be pretty slim.

Ds is doing the coordinating phonics page(s) prior to beginning the spelling pages. I don't think that he will miss many words even in the pre-test. This morning I asked him the spelling words orally. He had already completed the phonics page. The only word he misspelled was refrigerator. He spelled refigerator. Lol, he spelled it correctly when I asked again, so I think he knows how to spell it and the first time just left out the r while spelling aloud quickly.

If your ds is frustrated, why don't you purchase MCP Plaid Phonics and have him do the coordinating phonics page(s) before the pre-test?

HTH-

Mandy