Menu

Favorite LibriVox books?

Jennefer@SSA

I need some help with this. Have you had good experience with this free service? If so, what are the favorite books your dc have listened to? I don't even know where to begin searching for books - I am so unaware of the classics I don't know what to even ask for on their search. Sad but true!

This summer, my 8 year old has listened to:

Wind in the Willows

All of the Fran Baum Oz Stories

Sky Island (Frank Baum)

Enchanted Island of Yew (cannot remember if this is an Oz one or not)

Alice in Wonderland

Master Meadow Mouse

Peter Mink

The Princess and the Goblin

Timothy Turtle

There are also James Baldwin books, Our Island Story, Junior Classics and Lamb's Shakespeare.

E. Nesbit can be found there. My son was not interested, though. He has been focusing on fantasy this summer.

Oh, also The Blue Fairy Book and Thornton W. Burgess.

So far the only one I have really enjoyed is The Princess and the Goblin by Lizzie Dryver. I loved this recording!

I'm still looking for others. I don't like when someone different records each chapter. I know that's how it sometimes has to be but it throws off my concentration.

• 4 months later...

We love it and it really helped my 11 year old, (who was 9 and reluctant) to start reading more. I would pick stories like Huck Finn, and then when he was done get the movie- He loves it! My 14 year old listens to lit like Jane Austin and The Count of Monte Cristo, which probably wouldn't be on her level until high school. So it is a great thing!

dc have enjoyed Our Island Story - HE Marshall

it covers the sweep of British History starting with the myths and legends of its beginnings.

Also enjoyed

With Lee in Virginia by GA Henty

The Adventures of Ulysses - by Charles Lamb

we are now listening to St Bartholomew's Eve by G A Henty

Real Mother Goose

Any of Thornton Burgess

The Adventures of Pinnocchio

The Reluctant Dragon

Beatrix Potter

A Child's Garden of Verses

When you come to the search page, choose advanced search. This will take you to another screen. Choose genre and then childrens. This will allow you to browse through 9 pages of children's literature.

Paula