Menu

Why is non-credit card paypal payment necessary?

shanvan

I've spent some time this morning trying to figure out if there is any reason why a seller would not want to take a credit card payment through paypal.  

I've determined that fees are the same, but in a couple of posts from last year there were references to limits on how many credit card payments a seller can accept.  I can find no information about this on paypal anywhere.  Does anyone have a link to paypal's site that will clarify?  

I am not aware of any limits and I have always accepted credit card payments even before the fees became standard regardless of the type of payment.

I still see some sellers requesting non-credit card paypal, and I would like to make sure I have not missed something.  Maybe there is a good reason, but I can find nothing on the paypal site that would make it necessary.

This is a possibility, I'm not sure about this... If someone pays via PayPal, and funds the payment with a credit card, that might give them another possible way to get their money back, if something goes wrong with the sale. They could appeal both to PayPal and to the bank that issued the credit card.

I would, in general, be skeptical of a Seller with that requirement.

I was told that there is an additional credit-card fee, but that was some time ago.

From the research I've done this morning that is outdated.  Fees are the same now regardless of payment type.

I just remembered, I think you can easily withdraw the money in cash funds or deposit them into your own bank account.

Something to look into.  So, you think maybe it is easier to make the payment into cash or put it in your bank account if the payment is non-credit?  Hmm...I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter b/c I've done that with several payments and I don't remember any special requirements b/c of the type of payment.

When I have time later, I'll see what the site has to say about it.

I believe that is the way it was a few years ago, when I was buying and selling used things here.  Since the big change, I've just donated my stuff...So, my information may be way out of date. 

Something to look into.  So, you think maybe it is easier to make the payment into cash or put it in your bank account if the payment is non-credit?  Hmm...I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter b/c I've done that with several payments and I don't remember any special requirements b/c of the type of payment.

When I have time later, I'll see what the site has to say about it.

I've been a PowerSeller on eBay for over 10 years...  

Unless there is still a personal (rather than business) account, the fees are the same regardless of payment method.  And, so long as it's not an eCheck with the few days it takes to clear, any funds you receive can be immediately used--withdrawn to checking account, as cash at an ATM, or spent via debit card.

I've been a PowerSeller on eBay for over 10 years...  

Unless there is still a personal (rather than business) account, the fees are the same regardless of payment method.  And, so long as it's not an eCheck with the few days it takes to clear, any funds you receive can be immediately used--withdrawn to checking account, as cash at an ATM, or spent via debit card.

Well, it does look like there is still a personal account. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pop/choosing_account_type_signup-outside

So, I guess that could be the reason.  I think my account is personal though, and I have been accepting credit card funded paypal.  Now I am really confused.  (Also really side-tracked since I am supposed to be doing other things!)

Well, it does look like there is still a personal account. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pop/choosing_account_type_signup-outside

So, I guess that could be the reason.  I think my account is personal though, and I have been accepting credit card funded paypal.  Now I am really confused.  (Also really side-tracked since I am supposed to be doing other things!)

DING! DING! DING! We have an answer.  A person with a personal account cannot accept a credit card payment.  I looked and I have a premier account, which is why I am able to accept credit cards.  

Now we know why some sellers are still asking for a non-credit card paypal payment.