Menu

Incorrect pencil grip in a 4 y/o little guy

momsuz123

My 4 1/2 year old has the craziest grip I have seen. I correct it, casually, only to hear him say every time "I don't like that". I wish I had a picture of it. He holds the pencil, marker, crayon over the top with his thumb and index finger holding the grip only.

Any thoughts?

I know he is young, but I am not sure what age to get concerned about this.

I wouldn't worry about it per-se, but I would look into something like a pencil gripper

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=9&category=2055

My brother and I are both visually impaired and have poor motor skills. My brother was fortunately given one of these and learnt a normal pencil grip. I, on the other hand, was the eldest and they didn't find these until much too late. I have never been able to get the right pencil grip and now, as an adult. I can't write more than a sentence before I begin getting pain in my hand. I just can't control a pen if I hold it the 'correct' way. 

So I do feel pencil grip is important. However, If I remember correctly, the 'experts' aren't usually worried until the child is around 6 or 7.

It's important but it may be too late to change. Muscle memory is really difficult to overcome. Break all your crayons into pieces and try.

May I ask where you heard this? Everything I'm coming across is saying that a palmer grip is a normal stage of pencil grip for a young child...

From an OT I worked with with my ds and a presentation given by an OT to educate us in teaching HWT.  I don't think of 4 as very young in writing terms these days.  2 is very young.  I would, at 4.5, consider working with an OT if you can not correct the grasp yourself.

I suppose different OTs may have different opinions on this.