Menu

IEW Themes: Choose something they LIKE or something that needs reinforcing?

I think I already know the answer to this, but I still want other input...

We are starting IEW for the first time this year.  However Buck has an excellent understanding of writing (though very weak in practice) so I think we're OK, starting in a theme.  

Yesterday I was asking him to rank his subjects by favor and writing came in dead last.  I knew he didn't like to write, but I didn't realize he loathes writing.   :glare:   "yeah, Mom.  It doesn't matter how many subjects I have.  Writing is still going to be last."

So, now I'm reassessing...  (I hate that!  Two weeks before school starts, I have everything collected and organized!)

I've currently planned on him doing US History in IEW since that's what we're doing for History/Literature.  I really wanted the reinforcement.  But I've been doing some reflection.  If he detests writing, maybe I need to pick a theme that'd catch his passions instead?  

Rockets, Radar and Robotics tie nicely to his physical science work this year.  Plus it would allow exploration into a topic that already fascinates him.

What are some thoughts?  Is it time to let him chart more of his own course?  Or should I still be guiding him to areas that I know need reinforcement and let his own interests spur other areas?

With a child at that age who ranks writing dead last? I think it would be good to let him pick what he would most like to write about. Personally, I would go through TWSS with him instead of a theme (unless he looks at it and loves it). I would have him pick material/content with me, allowing him to tailor his writing course to his interests. Also, he is old enough to watch TWSS with you. Even my younger kids enjoy watching it.

You originally wanted him to write about history. Does he enjoy history? Because that could work if he enjoys the subject. What does he say? I would give him as much power as possible while still taking him through a tried-and-true program.

Well, I would let him choose his theme if writing is that horrid for him. But as a PP said, why does he hate writing so much?

However, I would not recommend Rockets, Radar. DS13 did that last year for an outside writing class, after doing Fun and Fascinating the year before. He liked FF, but RRR was blah. Many of the selections and ideas from which you write are technical non-fiction, not something that lends itself to dress-ups. In fact, DH (an engineering manager) said he would reject any technical paper that included so much "fluff."

Well, I would let him choose his theme if writing is that horrid for him. But as a PP said, why does he hate writing so much?

However, I would not recommend Rockets, Radar. DS13 did that last year for an outside writing class, after doing Fun and Fascinating the year before. He liked FF, but RRR was blah. Many of the selections and ideas from which you write are technical non-fiction, not something that lends itself to dress-ups. In fact, DH (an engineering manager) said he would reject any technical paper that included so much "fluff."

Thank you! You just saved me $29. I was looking at RRR, but had some doubts. We're going to be trying out Write With The Best, I think.

Buck looked at it and said, "Oooh!  I want to do that one."  

So I guess we're going with RRR.  I'm hanging on to my US History though, so we can use it in the future.  To be sure, it looks to be a better course.    But at this point, I need the hook more than I need the rigor.

So far as non-fiction not lending itself to dress-ups, in college I would expect technical papers to be "fluff"-free.  Probably even in high school, actually.  But junior high is the perfect age to get a feel for fluff vs. no fluff.