Menu

MCT questions

redquilthorse

I'm considering MCT Island and Town for my 5th and 3rd graders. I have seen a few people mention here that they needed to supplement the writing component.  I'm hesitant to spend the money on two levels of MCT if I still have to buy writing books, especially because writing is where my kids need the most work. If I buy the entire package of MCT, do I still need to supplement the writing component? 

I think of MCT as much more of a grammar curriculum than writing. I might be wrong but I don’t think there are any writing exercises in the Island level. It’s been a few years since we used it so I could be wrong. There were assignments in Town but they would not have been enough for my reluctant writer. They tend to be less-structured and in my opinion, more difficult than the assignments in something like WWE. My son hates writing so needs something like WWE that really walks him through it step by painful step. :) 

That said, we LOVE MCT. It’s one of my son’s favorite subjects. It’s been a great fit for us and I’m really glad we use it.

Yes, what Alice said.  MCT is incredibly rich in grammar, vocab & poetics, and it helps give a "big picture" understanding of writing - what the point is, why you are doing it, what you are trying to produce.  To this extent, it is invaluable as a component of writing teaching (at least for my kids who are really wired to "need to know" why they are doing something).  However, it isn't enough systematic training & practice in the actual process of writing for a lot of people.  If you really worked it - did every exercise - maybe? But I've been more comfortable combining it with another writing program - for us, that's been WWE & WWS.

Hmm. Would it be enough to combine it with something like Evan Moor Daily 6 Traits? MCT is so expensive! If it doesn't include writing, I wonder if I should just go with something else.  I was originally looking at Growing with Grammar and Write Shop for my older child, and maybe BJU for my younger one. My kids really need to write. And they need help with both structure and motivation. 

There are writing exercises in the back of the teachers manual of Island books and incorporated here and there throughout the other books of Island. If your child is a strong, creative writer it should be plenty. If not, you will want to do some other writing. The genius is in the presentation of grammatical concepts and not writing with this curriculum!

I'm planning on using Spectrum Writing 5(a year ahead, 9.99) with MCT Grammar Town.  They sell it at BAM and Barnes and Noble(20% off with their free home educators card) so you can check it out.    I ordered Evan Moore's last year and didn't like it so much, though I may have gotten the wrong year.