Menu

The Cuckoo's Calling

Just picked it up at the library and am curious. The jacket flap mentions this being by J.K Rowling writing under the name Robert Galbraith. So if the jacket lets you know it is really J. K. Rowling writing it then why all the flap about her secret identity being leaked? Was there another jacket for the book before this news was leaked?

Also has anyone read this...is it worth my time ?

I'm listening to it on audible. I quite like it. There's a lot of swearing, if that bothers you. I'm finding the characters well drawn and the mystery interesting, though. Knowing that its Rowling, I can hear the similarities in style, but I'm not sure I'd ever have guessed without that; the subject and the "voice" are too different from HP.

I just started it last night and kept getting distracted, so I'm only a few pages in, but so far it just hasn't caught my interest at all.  I'll give it a few more chapters and if it doesn't hook me in then I'll return it to the library.  There are something like 800 holds on it after me.  :ohmy:

There was a discussion about this on the podcast Books on the Nightstand. The two people who do the podcast work for Random House but the podcast is not a RH production; it's just a hobby for the podcasters. They talked about the revelation of Robert Galbraith being JKR and whether or not it was a gimmick, as some have said. They concluded it was not a gimmick or publicity stunt as the manuscript--under the name RG--was initially turned down by several other publishing houses and it's initial run was consistent with the number of books printed for an unknown author. And there weren't stacks of books in reserve waiting to be put out after the Big Reveal; more had to be printed. The story is that someone else leaked it that JKR was the real author; she then admitted she was. After that the publisher had to print a new run because now everyone wanted to read it.

I'd read somewhere JKR wanted to be judged on her work rather than her name. BOTN talked a little about that too. Interesting discussion; you can listen here or on iTunes.

I'm reading this now and am most of the way through it. I am enjoying it very much. I like to think I would have guessed it was written by JKR if I had not heard. I do see her style. Her ability to develop a character is pure genius. I did not like The Casual Vacancy because of the dark material and depressing tone, but this is what I LOVE about JKR's writing. Her characters are so authentic and she is spot-on with dialogue. I get a little tired of the trash-mouth stuff, but at least it does make sense with the characters who speak that way.

Personally, I would have preferred that they kept the same jacket, even if word *did* get out that it was JKR.

I just finished it. There's a line at the end...a quote...about being just a name. I really felt sorry for her and wish she could have remained anonymous for a while longer with this series.

I thought the book was okay and had fun with it.