Menu

"Cover Story" on sale at the Homeschool Buyers Co-op

Daniel Schwabauer, author of the One Year Adventure Novel writing curriculum, has published a new writing program for middle schoolers.  It looks terrific....

From the website:

Cover Story takes middle school students on a guided tour through the universe of Story. Through the process of creating the content for their own magazine in a single school year, students are led, step by step, on a fun, thought-provoking journey of exploration and creation. They write poems, short stories, non-fiction articles, letters, and many other short pieces. They also learn to journal every day by following the creative structure of The Remarkable Journal of Professor Gunther Von Steuben. Along the way, they study not just a story's form, but its execution.

Find it here......https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/cover-story/?c=1

We're going to try it this year!!

Thank you!  :thumbup1:

My 18yo has loved his other courses.  My 11yo isn't ready for this but I may buy it for future use.

I think I'm going to use Cover Story for my rising 7th grader instead of OYAN this year.  I had originally planned on OYAN for her this year but after getting it and watching the videos, I think it might be better to save OYAN for 8th grade.  How old was your son when he did it?

I think I'm going to use Cover Story for my rising 7th grader instead of OYAN this year.  I had originally planned on OYAN for her this year but after getting it and watching the videos, I think it might be better to save OYAN for 8th grade.  How old was your son when he did it?

My 18yo was an unschooler so she didn't use it in a traditional way.  I bought OYAN for her and it sat on the shelf for a couple of years which was disappointing to me.  One day she picked it up and started watching the videos and poring over the books.  She's watched the videos over and over.  She loves it so much she I gave her "Other Worlds" for Christmas at her request.

OK, clearly it is a lot harder to reply from an iPhone than I thought! Sorry, I was trying to answer the question about wether Cover Story is secular or not. Mr. And Mrs. S are committed Christians. From what my kids say from having the high school program OYAN, it is not super overtly christian, it has a definite Christian bent. Like I said, the writers of the curriculum are strong Christians so that is going to come through. If you want something totally secular, you probably won't find it here.

My 18yo was an unschooler so she didn't use it in a traditional way. I bought OYAN for her and it sat on the shelf for a couple of years which was disappointing to me. One day she picked it up and started watching the videos and poring over the books. She's watched the videos over and over. She loves it so much she I gave her "Other Worlds" for Christmas at her request.

That will work for us. Our focus this year is expository. Cover Story will be the supplement to keep the creative juices flowing. We'll save OYAN for next year. I think it will fit the plan of learning higher level college writing as the primary goal while keeping our eyes on the "fun" writing too.