Menu

Dr. Hive? Twins and strong allergies.

Juniper

I could really use some help understanding my twins and their recent allergic reactions. If you have experience with intense allergic reactions, please read further and see if you have any thoguhts.

Last year, twin A was stung 5 times by a wasp. I quickly gave benadryl and claritin (as that was what I had on hand), but with seconds he was convered in hives, his face started to swell and he lost vision. I threw him in our car and quickly got to an emergency room (wasn't thinking that calling ambulance would have been better.) The ER took good care of him, we left and I promptly filled his epi-pen script.

When we followed up with his ped, the Dr. mentioned that if he was stung again it was likely that he would have an ever stronger reaction, but he wanted me to watch him closley, give benadryl and make sure he needed the epi before adminstering it.

It has been a year. Last week both twins were stung by a wasp. Twin A was stung twice. Twin B (who has never been stung before) was stung once. Here is where it gets weird. Twin A did not react at all! Didn't even need Benadryl. Twin B, had almost the same reaction as twin A the year before...extreme swelling and hives head to toe.

Can anyone explain to me why they react so strongly the first time they are stung, but seem to not react (at least twin A) for future stings?

Feeling a bit baffled.

Thanks guys. I am just feeling a bit bewildered. It is good to know that their can be very different reactions.

It was definetly wasps, but twin A did get stung by a bee a couple days ago and did not react other than mild irratation.