Menu

Electric pencil sharpener recommendation and any deals?

I have had it with hand sharpeners.  Why did I ever think those were a good idea?  We have gone through so many and they tear and pencil/colored pencil I try to sharpen. 

Does anyone have a good recommendation as to a quality one to get?  

And are there any deals anywhere?

That's why I buy the cheap ones.  If they break, I'm out $5, not $30 or, good grief, $50 or more.  My experience working in a small school was that they ALWAYS break eventually - whether they're expensive or cheap, so I only buy cheap.  We've averaged one a year, but I've never spent enough that I'm upset about that.

But there are a lot of fans of a specific pricey one here...  I can't remember which one.  Someone will chime in with it, I'm sure.

We've had this one for a year now and it's still going strong. It gets used quite often since my girls prefer colored pencils over crayons or markers.

http://t.staples.com/skava/static/product.html?type=StaplesProduct&input=%7B%22url%22%3A%5B%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.staples.com%2FStaples-Power-Extreme-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener-Heavy-Duty-Black%2Fproduct-nr_356332%22%5D%7D

We used to have a big school style one but it didn't work any better than the little one. It's a westcott brand battery powered one from target. It was maybe around $5 and has been sharpening well on the same set of batteries for a year. Definitely keep colored pencils out of electric sharpeners, the wax in them will slow down the sharpener and cause it to overheat then stop working.

Two years ago I had had it with hand sharpeners as well!  So, I went to Office Max and asked the sales associate to recommend an electric pencil sharpener for under $20.  He immediately handed me a box containing an X-Acto sharpener and said, "My mom bought one of these when I was in middle school.  I'm a junior now, and we still have the same sharpener...it still works!" He convinced me to buy it, and after two years, it still works as well as the day I bought it! 

After having two lousy electric ones, I found the School Smart one on as a bestseller on Amazon.  But I found it much cheaper here:

https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?minisite=10046&item=468273

It was about $1 cheaper a little while back.  You get free shipping if you order $50, and it was easy for me to find $50 worth - stapler, etc.  If you have to pay shipping, I think it's about the same price as Amazon's with free super saver shipping.

We have only had it for a few months, but I'll guess it holds up for a long time because that thing really is a TANK!  My husband wanted to keep the one he'd bought from Costco, but I returned it and when he felt this one, which was actually $2 less, he was like "Whoah, I don't think that thing will break."

My parents have one they've had since I was a child.  I can't remember what it was called.  But it didn't have as good of reviews on Amazon.  I also don't think it gets tons of use like ours does.  

It isn't electric, but it is the best sharpener I've ever had. It stands up to kids using it all day long, and if something does go wrong with the sharpening mechanism, you can order just that part for less than half the price of a new one and install it in ten seconds (literally) without any tools. We LOVE it!

http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Sharpener-Green-Classroom-Angel-5/dp/B005D7S9J4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1375574513&sr=8-12&keywords=manual+pencil+sharpener

It isn't electric, but it is the best sharpener I've ever had. It stands up to kids using it all day long, and if something does go wrong with the sharpening mechanism, you can order just that part for less than half the price of a new one and install it in ten seconds (literally) without any tools. We LOVE it!

http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Sharpener-Green-Classroom-Angel-5/dp/B005D7S9J4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1375574513&sr=8-12&keywords=manual+pencil+sharpener

I second this.  We are absolutely in love with this pencil sharpener. 

Does the Carl A-5 linked above sharpen color pencils with a larger diameter. I have Derwent watercolor pencils that cannot fit into ordinary pencil sharpeners.

Well, I'm not altogether sure. How much larger? I am going to be in my classroom tomorrow and I can check. It opens up and pinches the pencils to hold them in place during sharpening, so I believe that allows it to handle slightly thicker pencils. Are you talking "My First Ticonderoga" thickness, or something in between that and a regular pencil?

Well, I'm not altogether sure. How much larger? I am going to be in my classroom tomorrow and I can check. It opens up and pinches the pencils to hold them in place during sharpening, so I believe that allows it to handle slightly thicker pencils. Are you talking "My First Ticonderoga" thickness, or something in between that and a regular pencil?

I have this Derwent Watercolor pencil set, http://www.amazon.com/Derwent-Watercolor-Pencils-3-4mm-32883/dp/B000F56QDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1375680693&sr=1-1&keywords=derwent+watercolor+pencils, which is thicker than my cedar pencils.

It could actually be about the same size as My First Ticonderoga.