Menu

HST help

I believe you can only add one resource per item.  I handle it by either adding the resources/additional activities in the directions or in the supplies.

Often if it is two distinctly different activities, for example reading and a lab, I add them as two items so that I can reschedule one or both as needed.  I just make sure they have the same sequence number so they automatically schedule to the same day initially.

I hope this "HST Help" thread is a good place to ask this.....I just got this today and I'm about ready to jump off a bridge....I read that it was a big learning curve but sheesh!!!

Can someone help me understand how you schedule a textbook that has chapters with a varying number of lessons within each chapter....Chapter 1 has 8 lessons, Chapter 2 has 4, etc...Do you just schedule each chapter individually?  Or is there a way to schedule the whole book at once?  Can you at least copy part of those entries?

I need each "lesson" in this book to take two days.  How do you schedule one lesson over a two day period?  Do you schedule the odd days as one item and the even as another or is there a way to do that all at once?

I've tried to read this user's manual all day today and I feel like I need a PhD to understand the planning of the planning software!!!!  Please tell me this gets easier???

I hope this "HST Help" thread is a good place to ask this.....I just got this today and I'm about ready to jump off a bridge....I read that it was a big learning curve but sheesh!!!

Can someone help me understand how you schedule a textbook that has chapters with a varying number of lessons within each chapter....Chapter 1 has 8 lessons, Chapter 2 has 4, etc...Do you just schedule each chapter individually?  Or is there a way to schedule the whole book at once?  Can you at least copy part of those entries?

I need each "lesson" in this book to take two days.  How do you schedule one lesson over a two day period?  Do you schedule the odd days as one item and the even as another or is there a way to do that all at once?

I've tried to read this user's manual all day today and I feel like I need a PhD to understand the planning of the planning software!!!!  Please tell me this gets easier???

You could do it automatically with however many the maximum lessons per chapter are, and then go back and delete the extras manually..that's probably the fastest way. So you'd auto increment, with 2 parts, first part is chapter, second part is lesson, and tell it how many to go to. Then go back and delete the extras.

Then, resequence the sequence numbers starting with one, and incrementing by 2. That gives you space to go back and put in an assignement that says "finish lesson assigned yesterday". Make those start with sequence number 2, and increment by 2. That will give you something where you have a lesson on day one, and day two the assignment is just "finish what you were assigned yesterday", then another lesson, then another "finish what you started yesterday. That's how I would do it. But there are probably a million ways TO do it.

You could do it automatically with however many the maximum lessons per chapter are, and then go back and delete the extras manually..that's probably the fastest way. So you'd auto increment, with 2 parts, first part is chapter, second part is lesson, and tell it how many to go to. Then go back and delete the extras.

Then, resequence the sequence numbers starting with one, and incrementing by 2. That gives you space to go back and put in an assignement that says "finish lesson assigned yesterday". Make those start with sequence number 2, and increment by 2. That will give you something where you have a lesson on day one, and day two the assignment is just "finish what you were assigned yesterday", then another lesson, then another "finish what you started yesterday. That's how I would do it. But there are probably a million ways TO do it.

I had tried that but I couldn't recalibrate the days so that the lessons were in order.  I tried again this morning and figured out what I was doing wrong....I forgot the "skip days already in use" box.  Once I did that, it worked perfectly.

One other question....is there a way to schedule by the week?  I see that when I choose "weekly," it prompts me to check the days of the week I want it scheduled.  I don't want to assign this item by the day.....I want it more like a "week of" kind of thing and let her do it when she wants to.  Possible?

I had tried that but I couldn't recalibrate the days so that the lessons were in order. I tried again this morning and figured out what I was doing wrong....I forgot the "skip days already in use" box. Once I did that, it worked perfectly.

One other question....is there a way to schedule by the week? I see that when I choose "weekly," it prompts me to check the days of the week I want it scheduled. I don't want to assign this item by the day.....I want it more like a "week of" kind of thing and let her do it when she wants to. Possible?

If you choose 'daily' it will schedule a day for each day of your school week.

I had tried that but I couldn't recalibrate the days so that the lessons were in order.  I tried again this morning and figured out what I was doing wrong....I forgot the "skip days already in use" box.  Once I did that, it worked perfectly.

One other question....is there a way to schedule by the week?  I see that when I choose "weekly," it prompts me to check the days of the week I want it scheduled.  I don't want to assign this item by the day.....I want it more like a "week of" kind of thing and let her do it when she wants to.  Possible?

If it is the only assignment that week, you could just schedule it for every monday, and put in the directions "complete by Friday".

Or, if you are using HST plus instead of the online version, and if you have lots of assignments but don't care what order she does them in (for that subject),assign one per day or whatever, and print out the scheudle in the grid format. (I forget what that is called...agenda view maybe?). That will make a grid with subjects on the side and assignments going across, for the week. She can then easily see whats to be done that week and cross off each one as she does it. Which is why I went back to plus instead of the online version.

If it is the only assignment that week, you could just schedule it for every monday, and put in the directions "complete by Friday".

Sorry - should have read more carefully. This poster is correct. Assignments have to be assigned to a specific day. The above is how I would do it if I wanted to give an assignment that had to be completed sometime this week. The item will show up on your daily task list each day until you mark it complete as long as you select to include 'Past Due Assignments' when you generate the report.

Or, if you are using HST plus instead of the online version, and if you have lots of assignments but don't care what order she does them in (for that subject),assign one per day or whatever, and print out the scheudle in the grid format. (I forget what that is called...agenda view maybe?). That will make a grid with subjects on the side and assignments going across, for the week. She can then easily see whats to be done that week and cross off each one as she does it. Which is why I went back to plus instead of the online version.

Found the work around.....ok, not jumping off the bridge anymore....