Menu

What Drive Thru History dvd's would I need to order for my 4th & 5th graders?

Getting ready to purchase on Amazon but I'm confused on which ones to get.  We've never used these before and it's a little confusing.  I see on Amazon there is one DVD that is grades 1-6 but not sure what that contains, or what I should purchase in addition to those.  We're Christians so I'm wondering about some of the Biblical ones too.  Any thoughts???

I believe the "1-6" notation you saw is referring to the episode numbers, not grade designations. 

FWIW, my son has watched several of them in both the American and the ancient history series since age 9 or so, and I think they're good for elementary age on up.  I don't recall anything graphic or inappropriate for young kids, but DS is not sensitive to things like some kids are, so maybe I just don't recall.  We haven't watched the Holy Land series though.  DS also enjoys the goofy humor injected occasionally by the host, such as the Romulus and Remus toy figures wrestling in the episode on the history of Rome.

If you have Netflix, several of the episodes are available on streaming, and others are on Netflix DVD.  You might want to rent them before purchasing to make sure your family will enjoy them.

HTH.

ETA:  They have their own website if you're interested:  http://www.drivethruhistory.com/   There are discussion guides and such in the downloads section.

You might want to preview these.  I watched the first episode on Netflix and there was a pretty detailed scene on the destruction of Jerusalem...I could have done without a few of the more gruesome details.  I'm still debating whether to watch it with them or not...I think I'm going to watch a couple more episodes before deciding.