Menu

A good Homeschool Convention

KrissiK

I know our experiences at homeschool conventions are a mixed bag here at the Hive, but I must report that I had a good time at the Valley Home Educators Convention in Modesto, CA this weekend. I went to a good variety of seminars, including a couple of fabulous ones by Jim Weiss. I also went to a couple from Linda Hobar (Mystery of History) and a good one from IEW(unfortunately AP wasn't there personally). There was even hidden in the back corner of the exhibit hall a delightful booth with free neck/shoulder massages and chocolate. There weren't a ton of denim jumpers, but a lot of tiny babies, which gave me a mild case of baby-itis.

Anyhow, if there's any Central Cal gals (and men, there were a lot of dads there, too) I'd recommend it for next year.

I agree, it's a fantastic conference! And VERY affordable ($30 for the whole thing). I wasn't able to go this year, but a friend was just raving about hearing the Lamberts (Five in a Row) speak on Friday. I've heard SWB speak in past years at VHE; also Andrew Pudewa, Jim Weiss, etc. ... Yes, it's Christian, but very - how should I put it? - low-key. I have non-Christian friends who go just for the vendor hall (which is fabulous; I always spend way too much $$$!). You see everyone from Mennonites (I think -- women in prairie dresses with bonnets) to Muslims. And the chocolate was new a few years ago and a great addition! :)