Menu

What is your favorite brand of clay?

We've tried a lot. I LOVE Crayola Model Magic, but it is expensive and it dries out/self hardens when left out (which my toddler does a.lot). :glare: We've used regular non-hardening clay but one brand I've used gets all slimy (can't remember which). So, what is your favorite brand/kind of clay. Looking to get some soon! TIA!

Claytoon by Van Aken. It's the only one we've tried, though, so I'm sure there are others that are great! I think that Artistic Pursuits might have recommended a brand...

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=6481

Dick Blick recommends a "plastilina" clay because they are oil-based and usually don't harden. Van Aken brand has a line of that, too, and they seem to be very reasonable.

The Sculpey clay is great and does NOT harden unless you bake it. It is easier to work with than most clays as well. You can buy it at a lot of the craft/hobby stores. Just get it with a 40-50% off coupon and look for the big packs.

The Sculpey clay is great and does NOT harden unless you bake it. It is easier to work with than most clays as well. You can buy it at a lot of the craft/hobby stores. Just get it with a 40-50% off coupon and look for the big packs.

Oh yes, we have used Sculpey and do like it. I do find it a bit expensive, though. BUt, those coupons from Joann's and Michael's do help. Thanks!

We like the regular Sculpey clay, but it was a bit hard for my youngest to manipulate. We found the Sculpey Ultralight - very smooth and easy to work with. It only comes in white, but after baking, you can paint it. It is $10 a bag, but you can use your Michaels or Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon to get it down to $6.00

The really cool thing about it is that it will float! We have made lots of boats out of this clay (seal the paint if you plan on floating it), and the kids have a ball playing on our ditch pond. You can learn a great deal about boat design by making your own boats too.

I used playdough with my toddlers/preschoolers. I've even tried making my own from various recipes. They never were as good as the playdough though.