Menu

ATTN: 4-Hers....

Angela in GA

Our county fair also ends tomorrow.  Some ones we have seen or made for our sheep:

Characteristics of our particular breed

Poisonous pasture plants with pictures

Tail docking (you could do debudding)

Characteristics of fiber (you could do meat or milk unless they're cashmere or angora)

About turkeys - compare wild and domesticated?

For next year:

One kid (not mine) did a poster on nutrition in eggs dependent upon what the chickens are fed.  He had compared regular eggs with those supposedly enriched to provide an extra vitamin.  (Vitamin D?  A???)  His introduction discussed how this was claimed in advertising for eggs at the store, and he tested/compared the yolks of the eggs.

For this year:

History of a specific breed.  I'd be curious about that. Where did it come from?  How long has it been in the U.S.?  Was it bred for a specific purpose?

Different types of goats:  p. 6

Market Goats

Dairy Goats

Pack Goats

Cart Goats

Fiber Goats

I never even knew there were more than milk or meat goats.  What is the purpose of each type of goat?  What breeds are popular for each type?  Are all types still used in the U.S.?  Would we see all types here at the fair?

Difference between Domesticated Turkeys and Wild Turkeys.

What is the History of Turkey Domestication?  When did it occur?  What is the goal of breeding turkeys today (more meat?  more breast? faster weight gain?)

How is a turkey egg different from a chicken egg?

Compare goat meat with beef, pork, chicken, and turkey.  What does goat meat have that other meats do not have?

Our nine year old did a poster on rabies vaccine (and why horses should be vaccinated annually).  She had a little help (we have two veterinarians in the extended family) but it was really her own work and I think that definitely came through with the judges who selected her for a special award.  DH and I are very proud of her.