Menu

Help me find a spelling program! Please..

Hi,

I am looking for a spelling program for my 2nd grader. In theory, I like the idea of AAS. In reality, I don't know how often we would get around to it especially because I have a toddler who will be two in Nov. who takes a lot of my time and there are other subjects that we need to get through together as well.

Is there anything out there that would reinforce phonics rules like AAs does? I see R & S mentioned often when someone wants something similar to AAS, but I am looking for something secular. Also, can R&S be made/used secularly?

Thanks!

Seema

I use Rod and Staff.  I don't know what you mean, can it be used secularly?  You can use anything any way you want.  It depends if you don't like Bible verses (there are frequent Bible references) or moralistic stories (though, they are more in the older grades, just a paragraph), or if you are really irked by non-resistance. If you don't want to encounter that, then you will not be able to use the program. 

I used Spell to Write and Read for teaching reading to 4 of my kids.  As they get older I switch them to the Rod and Staff.  I think it's a great spelling program, and I still go through each list with my kids and mark the words with them (like in SWR).  

There has only been one time I strongly disagreed/disliked one of the fill in the blank paragraphs. 

Logic of English teaches rules and phonograms also. If you don't want to do the grammar, etc portions, you can dictate spelling words and discuss rules on one dy at the beginning of the week, then assign practice or play games the rest of the week. I had my DD practice on spelling city (free site) a few times per week.

AAS has worked for me, and I have several LO's in the mix.  The tiles have been a fantastic resource, and helpful for teaching beginning reading as well.  My only difficulty has been keeping the kiddos out of the tiles!  I now have the 2X3 whiteboard on the wall using the velcro command strips.  It comes on and off the wall with ease.  It's great!

Spelling Power teaches rules and is secular.  It's a different sort of program, your child does not look at the words before spelling them. Some kids find this difficult. One son really liked this program and the other got frustrated that he was expected to spell the word without having looked at it first. However, I think one can work with their child and help them through that. 

I am not using Spelling Power right now, not because I don't think it's good but I just really felt that learning the rules was not helping to improve my sons spelling. So, we are taking a different route this year with Michael Clay Thompson and I am hoping his emphasis on vocabulary and word study may be a better way to teach my son to spell well. But, I think Spelling Power is a great program for teaching children to spell and use the phonics rules. It is really easy to use as well.