Menu

Moving Beyond the Page 5-7

ebrindam

We are currently using it. My kids are 7&5. They seem to like it. I use the online version and find it easy to use. Every lesson does have a worksheet or two but they are for cementing and applying the information learned...so not really busywork. My kids have learnt a lot from it and they enjoy the activities.

We are currently using it. My kids are 7&5. They seem to like it. I use the online version and find it easy to use. Every lesson does have a worksheet or two but they are for cementing and applying the information learned...so not really busywork. My kids have learnt a lot from it and they enjoy the activities.

Would you mind sharing a little what a typical day looks like?

I'm adjusting for a pre-writing child, but here's a summary of two days out of the TM for the Habitats and Homes unit.

Lesson 5 Day 1:

- review the habitat types that have been covered in previous lessons

- introduce the words zoologist and botanist

- draw a picture of a habitat that will be observed and make predictions about what might be observed. observe a habitat (they suggest this go along with a field trp to a nearby woods, an aquarium, a zoo) and have your child make verbal observations regarding the plants and animals, with prompts for what questions to ask. Also encourages having the child draw their observations while on site.

- encourage the child to dictate a story about an animal that was observed

- a handwriting practice sheet for the letter z and the words zoo and zebra

Lesson 7:

- talk about domestic animals and the concept that owners must take care of them

- discuss the care of a pet you have in your home and involve the child in that care. Alternatively, use a friend's pet or a stuffed animal.

- Read The Salamander Room. The TM has several questions to discuss regarding the story.

- give the child a shoebox and ask them to collect things from the yard that would be needed to keep a salamander. Add things from within the house to meet needs, such as a small dish of water. Make from clay or draw food. Create a salamander from clay to add to the completed habitat.

Your DD is listed as 4 in your signature line. Can she write? Draw a large variety of recognizable objects? The writing is very easy for me to edit out for my not-writing DD, but there is a LOT of drawing encouraged. I've been handling it by having her help me find pictures of what she wants, printing them, and having her cut and paste them. Educationally, the curric is a good fit for us, but the amount of fine motor skills required has been more challenging to come up with a variety of substitutions.

Would you mind sharing a little what a typical day looks like?

We don't use MBTP as our only curriculum so our day is not typical of those who do.

We use it as a supplement. I skip the handwriting because my kids are way past writing their letters...plus I didn't like the lines they used...way to big ...my kids had trouble using them.

Generally people do one lesson a day...we do one or two lessons over a week. So my kids do their other work and then we do an activity or two from the lesson we are working on. It takes longer this way. With typical use each unit takes about three weeks.

If you look in my sig you can see what else we use.

You have to add your own phonics/reading program and your own maths program although MBTP does cover a lot of math concepts.

MBTP just added a new program for 4yos... That is what I'm going to be using for my little one. It has a lot more books and focuses on developing their fine motor skills. My kids have gotten a lot more out of the 5-7 level by doing it when they are older....plus keep in mind that you don't want to hit the 7-9 level too early as there is a big jump in skill level needed.