Menu

Name spelling and how would you pronounce it?

MomtoCandJ

My dd's name is Julianna.  We call her Juli for short and spell it without the e.

In our case,I figured, why add a letter that wasn't there.

People that know her by hearing her name as "Juli" often spell it with the e and she or I  correct them, however, when people see it spelled before hearing it, there has never been a problem with pronunciation.

Good luck deciding!

My gut is to pronounce it Yoo-li because of family context and background, but I'd assume it was Julie since that's most common.

I hadn't thought of "July" until I saw it posted here, and immediately thought Oh, it must be July and I just thought it was Julie because of my relative Julie (Yoo-lee) who is always assumed to be Julie (Joo-lee) - just my frame of reference.  Once I saw it as July, I began to see how that could become a potential common error - especially depending on where you live.  I'm in an area that has Gus (August), Toby (October) and names like Liberty, Justice, and other noun-names as relatively common names, so July wouldn't be too far of a stretch here.  April, May and June aren't such common names anymore, but going in that direction with July wouldn't be unheard of.

Are you wanting a name that's four letter first ending with "i" followed by a three-letter middle?

Are you wanting a name that's four letter first ending with "i" followed by a three-letter middle?

Four letter name ending with "I" with the middle name Ann is what I'm looking for. The boy is decided at Sevien Jay or Marshall Jay (if dh don't quit the Eminem thing) :)

Why??

IMHO Julie and Cali don't go together as well as Juli and Cali. A friend of mine has her name ending in -ee to match a bunch of her relatives. It's a name that is typically spelled -ie but that would look funny when written next to all her relatives.

My husband had two dogs growing up: "Six" and "Seven." They were gun dogs. Chances are good that I would not give a dog the name Seven, much less a human.

What bugs me 100% about kre8tiv spellings or made-up names is when the parent is all indignant and annoyed that people are not mind-readers and can't make sense of/pronounce/spell the child's name. When they huff, hands on hips, "Why doesn't anyone spell Keightlynne's name right???" Well...duh.

Four letter name ending with "I" with the middle name Ann is what I'm looking for. The boy is decided at Sevien Jay or Marshall Jay (if dh don't quit the Eminem thing) :)

I'm glad to see the use of Jay - great name, highly underused IMO :)

The Eminem thing cracks me up.  My friend didn't realize until her son was four years old that her husband got the name (Logan) from Wolverine.  At least you're more pop culture saavy than she was!

So in the realm of Juli Ann ... what about Jodi Ann or Jaci Ann?

Other considerations (that you've probably exhausted already, I'm sure) that seem pretty clear-cut on pronounciations, at least IMO/IME:

Keri Ann

Rubi Ann

Codi Ann

Lexi Ann

Cori/Kori Ann

Dani Ann

Rori Ann

Geri/Jeri Ann

Teri Ann

Gigi Ann (I have one little nephew who calls me Gigi, and I love it!)

Laci Ann

Lori Ann

Leni Ann

Niki Ann

Suzi Ann

Toni Ann

Tori Ann

Mari Ann

Vivi Ann <-- there's a girl on Dance Moms (don't judge!) and it's grown on me nicely

Maci Ann

Jodi Ann

Loni Ann

Cami Ann

Levi Ann

Kaci Ann

Roni Ann

Some that might be mispronounced, but fit the bill:

Kati Ann  (Katie versus Catty

Lani Ann (lah-nee versus lan-ee)

Tabi Ann (Tabby versus Tah-bee)

You didn't ask, and I'm sure by now you've exhausted them all (and then some).  But thought I'd throw out some names.  When we went through naming my daughter, the first after several boys, we over-thought the entire thing in our eagerness to not have to come up with another boy name LOL.  And names I once hated began to sound good, and ones I liked I came to like less.  Good luck finding that perfect name :)