Menu

Self help books

Danestress

I never read self help books or spiritual help books or inspirational books. I read a couple of parenting books over the years - that's it.

But I at an age when I need to figure out how the rest of my life is going to be. I not happy with how my time gets squandered. I want to be intentional about how I use my time and energy. I have a serious brain fog problem, but other than that, I am healthy, and am a good weight. And my marriage is good, as are all my relationships, so I don't need a book about interpersonal stuff - more one to just help me organize my goals and to order my life to move towards them.

I am a Christian, but secular book ideas are welcome.

I thought about seeing a life coach, but figured maybe for the price of a book, you ladies could help me get started! TYIA

Getting Things Done, by David Allen. The company does seminars & consulting, and sells a range of (very nice quality) accessories, but the book explains a simple, elegant system of organization that can be implemented with anything from paper notepads to fancy computer software.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280

The keys are to record every thought or idea, so that your mind is free to focus on what you are doing now (and so you only need to have an idea once -- I love that phrase!), and to organize your "to-do list" (though it's not called this, and ideally you don't see the entire overwhelming, demoralizing list at once but instead just the things that you can act on when & where you are right now) in such a way that choosing the next thing to do is a no-brainer.

Stephen Covey's books were my biggie.  I went through their full seminar about 20 years ago in as part of management training, and I ended up completely reorienting my career and focus in life.  I actually left the type of work and the employer that paid for the training 4 months after finishing the course, and everything I've done professionally since grew from that.  I re-read his first book every year during the summer.

I second the recommendations for "Getting Things Done" and "7 Habits of Highly Effective People".  Both are excellent books, and will help you with goal setting, time management, and overall "life organization". 

You might also find the Wheel of Life exercise helpful. It helps you quickly identify how you're spending your time and energy and highlights areas that are out of balance, so that you can decide where you want to invest more/less time to bring your life into balance.  http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_93.htm

These are all great recommendations.  I appreciate the response and am reading on Amazon.

I think one of my problems is that I don't know what to do with my time.  I am not a working Mom who is overwhelmed with balancing a million obligations.  I am not even a homeschooling Mom anymore.  I have more time on my hands then I have ever had, and I feel like I am not getting things done that really should get done (ie organize the attic, organize our finances) and I also feel a larger issue of not knowing what I want to do with my life - whether to work or not, etc.  I can't seem to get myself to work-out like I know I should, and while I am basically a happy, content person, I feel a little anxiety and guilt right now about "wasting" so much time, but not really having a better idea.  So some of these books seemed aimed at the uber professional busy person and if that additional info reminds anyone of another book, I thought I would throw it out there!