Menu

Can someone tell me the differences between MOH & Diana Warings History Curriculums?

bnwhitaker

I have used both and while I like them both I prefer DW's. I will address it since I am familiar with her updated versions, while I only used the older 1st version of MOH. The reason I prefer DW's History Revealed curricula is because it has a solid foundation, but still leaves room to make it your own. It puts the parents and/or the child in the driver's seat a bit more. 

Ancient Civilization and the Bible

Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries

World Empires, World Missions, World Wars

Each monthly unit comes with an article and audios to set the foundation. Bible is also part of that foundation. There is mapping, art and architecture observation. After the foundation is laid the child chooses lessons in artistic expression, research, etc. He can choose from making comics of the topic researched, writing a report, putting on a play, making a display or any number methods to share what he learned. When he chooses the topic to dig deeper in he becomes more interested in the material. 

Excellent entire unit samples to down load for free and sample audios :

http://www.dianawaring.com/

I agree with Susie above. we are using AC&TB this year and used MOH in the past. I think AC&TB goes more in depth than MOH and it gives the choices to you or the student. My kiddos will get to pick their own projects each week and present them to the family on Friday evenings. This is one of the subjects they are the mot excited about next year!

I haven't used Diane Waring's history yet, but I purchased it for this year. We start next week! We're doing Romans, Reformers, and Revolutionaries. We did MoH 1 last year.

Though we liked MoH, it seemed a bit boring to me. The kids liked it all right, but I felt that it lacked fun interaction. I haven't used History Revealed yet (DW's history), but just from looking over it, I can tell it will get the kids more involved and give them more ownership over what they go deeper into. I'm very excited to start next week. ;)

I love hearing what your experiences are.  I was thinking of doing Diana's for 7 & 8th and doing MOH for HS. 

So now after hearing Im wondering if MOH is not enough for HS.  Wondering though if it may be what books 

I added into that might help it out? 

I had been planning on doing Veritas for grades 7-12 and now need to switch. 

:coolgleamA:  I have been so stuck with history ... 

Today I am digging through the samples at Diana Waring's website and this looks fantastic for my family and like it MIGHT be what I have been looking for. I'd love to hear the negatives .... are there any? Why don't more folks use this? Obviously it is heavily Biblical (yahoo) and so that narrows the playing field. 

I love the 3 year cycle idea with a year leftover for American. 

This may be premature affection for this curriculum plan but I feel hopeful today that I may have found someplace to begin with history studies for my crew (otherwise, I think it's MFW for us and that wouldn't be a bad thing  :001_cool: ). Back to previewing the awesome samples.

Katrina, as to why more folks don't use HR I can only guess. My guess is that many are used to someone planning every thing such as which pages to read from which book and when, and so on. While HR does give a layout of the weeks, it doesn't plan everything for you. You must choose which resources to *dig* in for the extra assignments beyond the articles and audios. This is a major plus for me, but I do understand that some aren't comfy with that. I like to be given a direction and then decide how I will get there. HR does that for me and my kids. When my olders were schooling together it was great. At the end of the unit they could all share what they had each learned with each other. While one may choose to dig about this person in history the other may choose to learn more about a certain event.

Katrina, as to why more folks don't use HR I can only guess. My guess is that many are used to someone planning every thing such as which pages to read from which book and when, and so on. While HR does give a layout of the weeks, it doesn't plan everything for you. You must choose which resources to *dig* in for the extra assignments beyond the articles and audios. This is a major plus for me, but I do understand that some aren't comfy with that. I like to be given a direction and then decide how I will get there. HR does that for me and my kids. When my olders were schooling together it was great. At the end of the unit they could all share what they had each learned with each other. While one may choose to dig about this person in history the other may choose to learn more about a certain event.

Susie,

Thanks for this perspective. The bolded describes what I *think* my style is. Direction with flex; combination of individual work and group work and opportunities to share and learn from one another (a one room schoolhouse). Strong Biblical worldview, a variety of ways to learn and respond to what we are learning, meaty discussion questions, multiple book recommendations with a great variety in "style" of book, etc. 

I see HOD's Bigger in your signature. Are you doing that with a younger kiddo? =) I am trying to leave HOD because combining is a bust with every combination of kids in this family (it's been tough because there is a lot to love). 

I finished wading through all of the samples.  :001_tt1:  Now I wonder if I should wait a year before we start so my oldest two kids are 6th (12) and 4th (10). The boys will be 9 and 11 this fall but waiting a year means the middle guy is a bit more on target. In the meantime we could finish HOD's Preparing and/or study American History.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin' .... 

Yes, I am using HOD with my 8 yo dd. Actually I  am bouncing  between Am Hist studies at the moment. So right now I am taking a 6 week break from Bigger while doing Portraints of American Girlhood Colonial unit as it relates to our Colonial studies in Bigger.

I plan to use the full HR program with my youngest when she is older. I want her to get the most out of the study. If I had an older child doing HR I would include her (and not do HOD because of combining issues) and use the Elementary Activity Guide for her. In fact we have used the first 4 units out of it and really enjoyed it. I will have her get back to it when we can.

Thanks Susie. 

Okay, I remembered reading a review of DW's curriculum on Anne Elliot's blog here. It is concise (will take half a minute to read). Any thoughts or reactions? Busy work is pretty subjective and so I can't say for sure wether or not I'd feel that way. I am also a terrible judge of whether or not the projects/activities are best suited for a classroom rather than a family. 

What age do you believe is ideal to dive into HR? My oldest child will be 11 this fall and he's a sharp guy. With HOD he'd easily be using CtC this fall (and I am struggling with saying no to this in favor of family learning but it is ever so depressing to be tucked away in our little spots doing separate guides even though the guides are lovely and every kid is "on level". Four guides and I find myself spinning. Sigh.)

Still thinking.  :coolgleamA:

I love the content on the DW CD's, but my kids couldn't listen to her voice--it was enough of a distraction for them that they just weren't getting anything out of it.  Too bad, because I thought some of her content was fascinating. I did want more of a structure than she provided--I didn't like that 2 weeks or so were self-planned every month, I do better with more planned, just needing some tweaks rather than a lot of planning.

We've used MOH along with Famous Men books and Sonlight, and that's been a good eclectic mix for us.  Someone asked about MOH for high school--if you look on Linda Hobar's site, there's info about how to use it for HS.  Specifically, Level 1 is very basic, and you would want to add in the timeline, mapping and/or research projects and activities to give it more meat and flesh it out.  2 and 3 are more detailed (LOVE 3!) and work very well for high school. Here's what we did with it.

Merry :-)

Her negatives:

"Things I Don’t Like As Well: It seems that these books are really best used in a classroom. Many of the activities are difficult in a homeschool setting or are redundant. If I use the next book in this series, I probably won’t also purchase the student workbooks because they contain a lot of busy work."

I disagree to a degree. While I *think* DIana designed the grid so that it could be used in a classroom setting, I really think this is better than anything I have ever seen in any class I or my older children have been in (they ps'ed when they were in elem). You will find discussion questions (maybe she feels this is better suited to a classroom??), but to me this gives me time to discuss with my kids the issues brought up. As far as activites being redundant....there are so many....some are repeated, yes, but you can only come up with so many ideas for a year. There are enough different ideas that a child can choose a different one each unit and not repeat. I really wish this reviewer would have given examples of things she considers redundant, classroomish, and busy work. I never got those feelings.

Susie,

You are being such a big help to those of us investigating HR. I am hopeful the continuing discussion is helpful to the OP.

Is there a "spine" feel? Narrative spines really work well for me (which is why I'm hesitant with MFW as it seems more choppy on paper ... maybe that's a wrong impression). Mystery of History does have that narrative feel but I really LOVE the hands on aspect of HR and the opportunity for my kids to have some freedom to investigate, respond, etc. There's something about the approach that appeals to me ... 

I do not agree with the above blog post at all! Yes there are activities suggested that would take more than one student (that is great for a mom with ore than one kiddo)but there are also plenty of projects suggested for a single student. Also, keep in mind that you dont have to do each project exactly as suggested. It is a jumping off point for us basically. I can not for the life of me think of what would be "busy work". There are no mindless worksheets, no rote memorization, nothing like that. this is a program that keeps kids engaged the entire time. While I o think Susie is right, in that some are turned off because of the planning. In the beginning I was unsure ho to get things to "flow". I rad a post from another mom on a different forum and what she said made so much sense to me. She plans out the first week with her kiddos (this is where you read the article and listen to cd), plans out the timeline and map work and then the kiddos plan the rest. They pick their own topics to dig into and their own way of expression. Every Friday evening they must present them to the family.That sound perfect to me! Sort of a mix of guided and independent project based learning. How this helps jut my 2 cents.

Oh yes, I do feel that there is a spine feel with the articles and the audios, and most importantly the Bible.

Also, I forgot to answer your qestion about best age. To me, I feel it is best suited for middle to high, but many have used it with youngers.

I agree with all Thowell said.

Thanks so much ladies.

Soooooo, if my oldest is a rising 5th grader who will be 11 in October AND is a pretty sharp guy/strong reader would you recommend we wait or jump in this year. We *could* do an overview this year and/or study American History rather than do that when he is in 8th. 

Still thinking.  :coolgleamA:

Is he at least starting to do minor research? Not that he would have to have 3 resources for any given topic, but just be able to look up someone or event and tell about it in some way.

Hope your year goes great no matter what you decide on.

If you go with HR, which one are you looking at: ACB, RRR, or WWW? ACB is the easiest. RRR gets into some deep stuff with the Crusaids, and WWW is just more advanced. At least that is my perspective, others may see it differently.

Is he at least starting to do minor research? Not that he would have to have 3 resources for any given topic, but just be able to look up someone or event and tell about it in some way.

Hope your year goes great no matter what you decide on.

If you go with HR, which one are you looking at: ACB, RRR, or WWW? ACB is the easiest. RRR gets into some deep stuff with the Crusaids, and WWW is just more advanced. At least that is my perspective, others may see it differently.

Yes on the basic research but would still need guidance. =) ACB would be our launching point. It looks awesome but I am still thinking on this. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes on the basic research but would still need guidance. =) ACB would be our launching point. It looks awesome but I am still thinking on this. ;)

I'm curious about what you decided ...

Reading through your previous posts, we are in the same boat, so to speak.  We are a former HoD family and our 2012-2013 school year was a world history overview (loosely following HoD's Preparing).

I've had my eye on History Revealed for a while and am giving it a go this year, but we are only using the audio cd's, along with independent reading.  History is going to be self-taught this year, although I hope to listen in too.

FWIW, Diana Waring's yahoo group is fabulous.  Files galore.

I'm curious about what you decided ...

Reading through your previous posts, we are in the same boat, so to speak.  We are a former HoD family and our 2012-2013 school year was a world history overview (loosely following HoD's Preparing).

I've had my eye on History Revealed for a while and am giving it a go this year, but we are only using the audio cd's, along with independent reading.  History is going to be self-taught this year, although I hope to listen in too.

FWIW, Diana Waring's yahoo group is fabulous.  Files galore.

Hi Jess,

Ha! I am a mess with history. Still looking for the elusive perfect.

I think History Revealed is very much "up my alley" except I concluded that it might not be the best timing to jump in. I think it looks like a better fit with my oldest student being older. My idealism takes hold of me and when I really mesh the expectations I have with where my kids are at I realize why it's not a good fit overall.

Still thinking on MFW or MOH. I actually like MFW because it kind of meets in the middle with books and pads things with the book basket. Book basket worked out really well for us in the past and it seemed like everything else was "enough". Science is sticky because my oldest has ideas and we are doing what he wants in science this year for him.

Beautiful Feet or Veritas Press may win out for being trim/streamlined and having excellent literature. I want a solid history course with strong Bible integration that won't take over. MOH feels huge to me once we get to year 2 and I KNOW I'll lose everyone but my oldest. History Revealed sounds quite good but REALISTICALLY I think I'll be spinning around trying to scrape unmotivated kids off their buns and get them busy with something meaningful. Personally, I'm not *sure* that I'd be content unless there was a good amount of reading and writing linked to history. My kids would be drawn to the easier, more creative output and I don't think we're at a maturity level to self-drive that here. It would end up being Mom driven. 

Anyhow, no matter what we DO we'll listen to Diana's cds. I adore them. 

History is THE subject that is ruining my life. It's such a monster. There are so many ways to go about it. I have multiple interest levels, reading levels, maturity levels, and limited time. I don't have the background to KNOW if I'm "doing it right" although I do know I want a few things:

Strong Bible integration

Strong Christian worldview (i.e. God is the Creator and He is sovereign)

Fantastic literature and some of it (or most of it) is just there to be read and savored

Some guided discussion and hopefully help for me to launch this with older students

The usual timelines and mapwork and basic output (i.e. narration, notebook page, research topic)

A few meaningful projects

Audio/Video supplements

Not sure what I need but maybe I will have to use MOH or VP as my spine and fashion it myself. I just do NOT know how to do this, how to multi-teach it, or how to have the kinds of discussions I want. 

Ha! I am a mess with history. Still looking for the elusive perfect.

History is my most indecisive subject as well.  I don't know why that is.

I tried to appeal to my two eldest's learning styles.  Ds 10 devours books of any kind and Ds 8.5 devours audio cds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I can usually relate to your posts.

• 5 months later...

Hi Katrina!

I know it's been several months since your initial post, but I just came across this very helpful thread and had to chime in. We have used both MoH and MFW and have Diana Waring's RRR to look over this year. We are currently using BiblioPlan and enjoy it. The reason I have RRR on hand is because I wanted to read through it, and I had discovered it after already starting BP. I know exactly how you feel about History; it's kept me searching as well! I came across a great article recently and have pasted the link below. The writer, Teri Johnson, does a great job of explaining why we should teach History using a good assortment of living books. What really has drawn me to History Revealed recently is the strong Biblical focus. Diana focuses on the Bible as the foundation, then works from there. A lot of Christian curricula seems to simply integrate Biblical teachings into the author's ideas. That might be fine for certain subjects, but I feel and believe that the Bible is the foundation for everything, and all else should be worked around that. That is my personal belief, which helps me in narrowing down the choices. If you have any questions that I could help with, please let me know.

Blessings, JB

http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/history.htm

So...does the idea of the True Tales/What in the World?/Elementary Activity book (for a 4th grader) + TM/Digging Deeper (for the teacher) sound like a good idea? Or is this really just better all the way around if you wait till your oldest student could do the program normally?

Oh man, I wish I hadn't opened this thread! I was all set with a plan for history next year (no materials purchased yet, thankfully) to cover the middle ages. RRR looks like an exceptional program for anyone from an Orthodox Christian perspective, because it appears to do a great job of teaching about the Church Fathers and even incorporates Eastern Orthodox readings. Wow!