Menu

can you help me figure this out?

cathmom

I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks and have not come up with a good workable plan.

Dh's family is having a family reunion that we would like to go to. It's in a location 7 hours from where we live.

I want to take the kids to see my family and dh's mom (who is not going to the reunion) in a location that is 8 hours from here, but 3 hours from the reunion site.

I thought we were all going to go see family together (the kids, dh and me) and then either go to the reunion and return to where my family lives and then drive home a day or two later, or go to the reunion and then continue home. Then dh told me he could not take off a week like I thought.

I still want to go see my family. If I don't go before the school year starts, I probably won't go until next summer. However I already was there for a week this summer, but I was really counting on going back. I would not attend the reunion without dh. I have only a 9 day window to go to see our family because of other commitments. The reunion is towards the end of this window.

Dh is still in physical therapy from a car accident he had last year and is regularly in pain, and I doubt he could sit in the car for 7 hours to go to the reunion from our house both directions in a short period of time.

I've considered all sorts of variations, looked at plane tickets, considered not doing one or both, etc. Dh is sick of thinking about it (even though I've probably spent more time thinking about it). The reunion itself would be $150 for us to take our whole family. If we stay in a hotel overnight somewhere, that's at least another $150 but we'd probably need 2 rooms. Then there's gas, etc.

Part of me says that if it's this complicated, we should just forget about it, but we want to go.

I'm not sure I gave all the relevant info, but does anyone have suggestions? I'm just so tired of thinking about this!

Why can't you go without dh?

Have you looked at Amtrak for all of you  or just having dh fly or take Amtrak by himself?  I can't sit for long, but I can travel if I can get up and walk around periodically.  

Can he make the drive if you have some built in stops every few hours?

I can go to see family without him, but I'm not going to go to his family reunion without him. That would be odd.

I hadn't thought of Amtrak. I'll have to look at that.

I don't want to drive through the night...too old for that. I'm fine with arriving late though.

Thinking now that perhaps he could fly to the airport closest to the reunion (still 2 hours away) on that Saturday. I could drive there from my mom's and pick him up, and then we could drive to the reunion location and stay in the hotel Saturday night. Then we could drive the 7 hours home after the reunion, and he could call out sick on Monday to recover.

He doesn't get to see his mom that way, but we have been talking about him flying up there for a long weekend sometime this fall.

Hmm.