Menu

College algebra vs. college mathematics CLEP

Which one tests more advanced material? Does the college mathematics clep test more general (basic?) math while the college algebra clep tests up to about precalc? I'm trying to figure out which would be higher level and, therefore, be more meaningful for a non-STEM kid. OK, so perhaps "meaningful" isn't the correct term. Our aim is to test out of and earn credit for the gen ed requirement for a non-math/science major while demonstrating that we are doing real math work (as opposed to consumer math type stuff) In high school. The precalc clep would probably be better, but I'm not sure if we'll quite get all the way there.

one other route of thinking in this....

Do you have an idea of what college will be awarding the transfer credit?  You might check to see if they offer credit for both or not and which of those meets Gen Ed in her major.   The place my daughter is looking at does not award CLEP credit for "college math", but does for College Algebra.  Another local university grants credit for the Mathematics, but only as "elective" vs "general ed requirements".  That place grants gen ed credit on College Algebra and PreCalc cleps. (and calc too, but that's not relevant.)

tagging on my dd's experience with Lolly's nutshell summary (like that kind of summary)  college algebra clep for my dd = finishing saxon alg 2, plus some topical study beyond that book by using a clep study guide. (it was about 20 or so topics from saxon advanced).  if that helps to see what's in it.

As far as the books for the two classes go, basic college math  goes up to prealgebra. College algebra covers algebra one and two. That is it in a nutshell.

That was what I was wondering. Thanks!

Make sure the school accepts them. It would stink to go through the work and expense of test prep and then not get credit for it.

Yes, exactly! Two of the school we are looking at accept either for gen ed. I just didn't want to go to the trouble and expense of having her prep for and take a lower level test and then still have to take more math later. She will still continue high school math through TT precalculus so it sounds like the College Algebra clep will be accessible. She will do another math credit her senior year --- maybe statistics, maybe another more rigorous precalc. We will wait and see.

Thanks!

If she has done precalc the college algebra CLEP should be very accessible. College algebra is usually the first half of precalc.

I would actually recommend senior-year statistics (assuming that she is still not interested in a STEM major -- kids change) as I consider it essential to scientific, economic, and political literacy in this day and age. It's utterly invaluable for realizing when someone is throwing numbers at you to BS you.

I would actually recommend senior-year statistics (assuming that she is still not interested in a STEM major -- kids change) as I consider it essential to scientific, economic, and political literacy in this day and age. It's utterly invaluable for realizing when someone is throwing numbers at you to BS you.

YES! I agree completely!