Menu

Child ID kits - anyone do them?

I picked up some things at CVS today, and the clerk put a child ID kit in my bag - "Free Gift", I think.

It got me thinking - do any of you here keep these records on your kids? You know - current pix, height, weight, fingerprints?

I'm very much NOT a paranoid person. I let my kids play outside unattended. But - should I do this?

Wondering. . . . . .

I picked up some things at CVS today, and the clerk put a child ID kit in my bag - "Free Gift", I think.

It got me thinking - do any of you here keep these records on your kids? You know - current pix, height, weight, fingerprints?

I'm very much NOT a paranoid person. I let my kids play outside unattended. But - should I do this?

Wondering. . . . . .

Why not? You've go the kit. We got some free one time and went ahead and did the prints. We didn't give it to anyone though, we just tucked it away and forgot about it.

I took my kids fingerprints a few years ago. I still have them somewhere.:confused:

When my ds5 was in the hospital a couple of months ago, they gave me a swab kit to keep his DNA. I asked for 3 more! They ran out, so she gave me a couple of sterile swabs and plastic baggy. She said, as long as the swab is kept in the bag it will be alright.

I haven't done it yet, but plan to.

Why not? You've go the kit. We got some free one time and went ahead and did the prints. We didn't give it to anyone though, we just tucked it away and forgot about it.

Yeah - except I've got 1 kit, and 5 kids ;) We have the "why does SHE get to do it?" issue around here. . . . . :tongue_smilie:

Actually, our science lesson tomorrow is fingerprinting, wouldn't you know! So I'll at least have those.

In a mad dash to declutter, I found these kits in one of my drawers and realized I'd have them for 5 years and if I hadn't used them yet it was unlikely I'd use them in the future. It does seem like a good thing to do. I didn't even think to do it as a fun educational type activity. I wish I'd read this thread last week, LOL!!:tongue_smilie:

Here are some free ones:

http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-idkit.htm

http://www.registeredoffenderslist.org/child-id-kit.pdf

ANd regarding to the Amber Alert kit, here is a comment (not mine):

ANY flash-drive on the market can do this!!! parents save yourself some money and go to MicroCenter and grab a 1gig Flash-Drive for $10.00!!! On it you can put scanned copies of their birth certificate, fingerprints, photos, Videos, and EVERYTHING ELSE on the planet!!! And if 1gig is not enough then get a 2gig one for $16.00!!! Have more than one child, get a flash-drive for each of them! Put the Flash-Drive and a bit of their hair (Pulled not cut) into a Zip-Lock bag. Write their name on it, and it is EVERYTHING that the police will need to find your child in one easy place!

And, here is some more information to create your own:

http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/children/articles/child-id-kit.php