Menu

Homeschool substitute

Night Elf

What a cool job this could be. I am sitting here reminiscing about my early days of homeschooling. I loved K-5th grade particularly. I know some here talk about needing a day off every now and then and I could come in and substitute! This high school stuff is so tedious and boring. I wish I had known then what I know now. But I guess that's always the way with hindsight.

I have hired homeschool substitutes before.  I hired one when I was on jury duty and couldn't get out of it.  She was great.  She even did p.e. with the kids!  I was sort of afraid that the kids wouldn't want me back again. . .     The second was a twice a week thing when I was having a really bad time with my chronic illness.  It started out great but then as time when on she was lazy and would only do the assignments that didn't require her to do any work.  That meant she would only do worksheet type things and no hands on things.  I had to fire her without her knowing that she was being fired because she was a neighbor.  

I have hired homeschool substitutes before.  I hired one when I was on jury duty and couldn't get out of it.  She was great.  She even did p.e. with the kids!  I was sort of afraid that the kids wouldn't want me back again. . .     The second was a twice a week thing when I was having a really bad time with my chronic illness.  It started out great but then as time when on she was lazy and would only do the assignments that didn't require her to do any work.  That meant she would only do worksheet type things and no hands on things.  I had to fire her without her knowing that she was being fired because she was a neighbor.  

That's terrible! I would end up being the opposite of her. I'd try to do too much. My kids always thought we did way too much. They didn't care about the extra fun activities I wanted to do. I remember trying to work our way through the SOTW activity book. They'd groan and roll their eyes every time. I didn't understand! It was all so much better than just doing textbook work.

This high school stuff is so tedious and boring. I wish I had known then what I know now. But I guess that's always the way with hindsight.

:confused1: I'm not sure how you can mean the bolded part, high school is the best part of home schooling in my book: I have near adult folks that I can talk intelligently about interesting subjects. 

Maybe you could help me understand by filling out the next two sentences.