Menu

Opinions/Preferences? VP vs. CC History Cards

4peanuts

I have both, and would be hard pressed to choose. If you think you will ever do CC, go with the CC cards. Otherwise, I think I would go with VP, but it would be a tough choice.

VP's cards have more *people*, and CC's are more civilization-centered. VP has the more traditional timeline events that everyone knows. CC throws in some odd stuff. VP's separate out events, CC combines them (this is definitely a minus for the CC cards - they sometimes combine events that are 1000 years apart like Minoans and Myceneans). VP's are more Western, CC's have more non-Western.

I agree with most of the above, but.... VP cards only cover American history in the modern period. CC cards cover world events. This makes CC the best choice for me because of the way we study history. The CC cards also have much more information on the back for reference. They are also prettier :). I do like parts of both, though. (The Minoans/Myceneans card with CC really rubs me the wrong way, too.)

I have both and definitely prefer VP's timeline cards, especially for the grammar stage. I'll consider CC's cards during the logic stage (after we've finished our 5 year history cycle with VP), but even then... it'll only be to incorporate the people/events/topics not covered (by VP) while reviewing and digging deeper during the next cycle into those we've already learned.

Another difference is the VP cards have a list of spines and the exact page numbers for learning more about that particular story printed on the back. They can drive a history study on their own.

Have you used them this way? How did it go? I've been thinking about doing it that way. I wish we had done it last year with the Medieval cards, but we ended up just singing them alongside SOTW2 and part of Sonlight C. Some of the people on the cards didn't get covered by either of those two programs so the kids didn't really know what they were singing about. This year I was thinking about using the Year 4 cards to drive our history studies.

The CC ones also have the advantage of having the song to go with it.

The CC song is NOT that helpful. It is too long, so each time the "theme" (not really the melody) repeats, my kids confuse the events with other events that are sung to the same theme/melody.

Our CC community had an unofficial song for the VP cards that I loved! It had a different tune every 2 weeks worth of cards. Wonderful stuff! VP also has their own tunes, but I haven't listened to them so can't give an opinion.

Yes, I've used Veritas Press as our history for years. The cards drive our history. Each card lasts approximately a week. We read the card, read the spines, do an activity or two from the TM, mark our timeline, and perhaps toss in a read aloud or extra independent reading for the DC.

Thank you for this reply. How much do you rely on the TM? I've been getting the cards and song CDs, but not the TMs. Since I've been homeschooling (WTM-style) a long time, I think I could use the cards and the myriad books/resources we've collected over the years to drive a WTM-style history study. The cards could be a sort of schedule (one a week, as you say.) But, how much will I be missing if I don't buy the TM?