Menu

Stair Stepper--increase time or intensity?

Ottakee

I have started using our Stair Master. I started out with just 3 minutes and am now up to 13 minutes at a time. I am still on intensity level 1 though---doing the rolling hills program.

At what point is it better to start increasing the intensity over the time? I want to thin down my heavy thighs as well as build leg muscles for mounting my horse and general riding.

I do have tendonitis and bone spurs in my heel so I need to go slowly with this

I'm no fitness expert, but I do love to work out. Perhaps you could begin increasing intensity slowly by doing some intervals. For instance, do one minute at level 1 and then one minute at level 3 and so on. After a few times, start at level 2 and go to level 4. When I do cardio on machines, I rarely do the same level of intensity the entire time. Sometimes I start low and keep getting more intense. Sometimes I'll do normal intensity for a minute followed by high intensity for a minute, continuing that for my whole workout. From what I've read, doing intervals is supposed to increase your fat burning ability. I think you should also be able to increase your time while also increasing intensity. If you want to take it slowly, just add one or two minutes per week.

Good luck and good job so far!

The rolling hills thing does vary intensity from a 1 dot to 4 or 5 dots and back down and back up again, etc. I am just not an exercise person. I can get through this with a fan blowing on me (it is in the garage and it has been HUMID here) and then reading a book on my kindle.

It depends.  Do you have time to increase the time you exercise?  If so I say do both, increase both the time and intensity but maybe one at a time varying your workouts.  Keep at it and I'm sure you'll see your fitness levels increase and 13 minutes at level 1 with be a piece of cake! :)

I do wear custom orthodics with special running shoes. I have a special boot to wear occ. at night----was nightly for months, now just a few nights a week.

I would much rather walk with friends but it just isn't working out as much as it had been so I need something else.