Menu

Summer camp food allergy kid update

So I continued emailing the director but he stopped replying at all.   I even got a kitchen chef email and again, no response.  I was not happy, but Ds wanted to go and was prepared to eat very little that week ;-)

When they arrived they put his food in the kitchen.  I had labeled every box and item.  They had a menu and were shown the label box.  Yep, every label for the week was in there but not necessarily the bundled with each meal.  That was Dh's job...the labels.  

However, when the meal time came he could talk with the chef and if he couldn't have that meal they would offer to make him his food(sandwich) and fruits.  Even on the meals he could have they often let him get another sandwich of his own supplies.  So Dh and ds felt it went well food wise.  

They overnight campout ended up being odd to avoid food issues....they hiked out and pitched the tent, hiked back for dinner, hiked back out to sleep.  SO no food prep away from camp.  Helped ds out immensely.  They did fire cooking for lunch instead one day and he had an alternative to that meal anyway.  

So while preparing for Bayport Scout Reservation in VA I got very little assistance other than they can handle it, they did an incredible job and I would send him there again based on how it went this week. They could handle it and ds ate and lived to tell us camp stories :)

I am relieved for you.  I went through this last year with our FA kid.  I couldn't ever get straight answers.  Just a basic, "We deal with this all the time and don't worry!"  Ugh.  

I sent dh with him last year just to make sure.  They were WONDERFUL!!!  Food was sent to each campsite and his was separate and labeled clearly.  They even had separate cooking utensils for him when necessary.  I was AMAZED.  

He just left today for the same camp.  Dh went with him because he was such a big help last year.  But, I'm MUCH more confident this year.  Glad to hear your ds had a good time!!!