Menu

Dr. Hive, who wants to diagnose my seven year old son?

Ok ladies, help me diagnose Moose...
It all started early Monday morning when he woke up around 1am and vomitted. Later in the day on Monday, he had diarrhea. Ever since then he hasn't thrown up or had diarrhea (he's had normal bathroom habits since then), his appetite and energy have been low, he has intermittent nausea, and says his head doesn't feel good. When I asked him to explain what he means by "his head doesn't feel good", he said "you know how there's the stomach flu? This would be like the head flu." He says his ears don't hurt, and his nose isn't stuffy.

I've been able to keep him drinking, but he has very little interest in food. He tolerates toast, plain bagels, easy stuff. But he doesn't want much. And he just lays around. Both are very out of character for him; he loves to move and eat.

Any ideas?

Does he have a fever? He may have a headache from being dehydrated if he won't drink anything. Try popsicles if he won't drink. If no one else has caught something similar, it's probably not a stomach virus. If he does have a fever, he may have Lyme's if you are in an area where that is common. My dd had it and that was her main complaint, but she also had the typical bulls-eye rash so that was a give-away. I guess I would just try to get him to drink and see if he feels better. HTH.

Sounds like a stomach virus to me.  My pediatrician always said if it's vomiting then diarrhea, that's stomach flu, and if it's diarrhea followed by vomiting, that's food poisoning.  My kids' stomach viruses were always 24-hour things.  If he's not better tomorrow you could get him seen. 

Sounds like his body is just processing out a virus.  I would take him in if one of these things happen:

Suddenly spikes a fever over 101-102 (after not having a fever)..

Becomes completely lethargic or non-responsive at anytime

Starts to cry and can not be consoled

Complains of a severe headache, neck stiffness

Shows signs of dehydration that you can not reconcile in 12 hours on your own. (look for syptoms online)

If he is not showing signs of recovery at 7 days from onset. 

If you mama guts says something heinous is going on.  Not just "I think he is sick", but that bottom of the gut, "something different is happening here" feeling.

For me, sinus pressure gives me the feeling he is describing.  The sinus pressure makes my head hurt, the post nasal drip makes me queesy, and if I don't have the energy to do anything active, I feel wiped out but can't sleep (activty=sleep for me)..

Sounds like a stomach virus to me.  My pediatrician always said if it's vomiting then diarrhea, that's stomach flu, and if it's diarrhea followed by vomiting, that's food poisoning.  My kids' stomach viruses were always 24-hour things.  If he's not better tomorrow you could get him seen. 

Sounds like his body is just processing out a virus.  I would take him in if one of these things happen:

Suddenly spikes a fever over 101-102 (after not having a fever)..

Becomes completely lethargic or non-responsive at anytime

Starts to cry and can not be consoled

Complains of a severe headache, neck stiffness

Shows signs of dehydration that you can not reconcile in 12 hours on your own. (look for syptoms online)

If he is not showing signs of recovery at 7 days from onset. 

If you mama guts says something heinous is going on.  Not just "I think he is sick", but that bottom of the gut, "something different is happening here" feeling.

For me, sinus pressure gives me the feeling he is describing.  The sinus pressure makes my head hurt, the post nasal drip makes me queesy, and if I don't have the energy to do anything active, I feel wiped out but can't sleep (activty=sleep for me)..

Thank you, and everyone else. The sinus issue is what I'm assuming. He has really bad allergies, and is on daily flonase and claritin. Yesterday when he was moaning, laying around, and saying his head felt sick, I gave him children's sudafed. That of course made him sleepy, but he felt much better for a few hours between waking from his nap and bedtime.

He's a little better this morning, but he says he always feels better in the morning. I'll just keep an eye on him, look for new or worsening symptoms, and nurse him back to full health slowly. Thanks for reassuring me.

Oh! And we're in Michigan, where ticks don't seem to be a big issue. We also haven't been in the woods recently. Outside, sure. But not on any nature hikes or camping or anything.