Menu

If this does't win me house cleaner of the year award nothing will

Flowing Brook

Interesting and scary.  Here locally, there have been a number of  cases of rabies transmissions from bats.  The CDC mentions a number of precautions to take if you are around one.

Actually, there have been some rabies cases in which an adult was awake while in contact with a bat, didn't think there was a bite, and died. I found out researching after personal contact. There are some things that happened don't entirely emake sense given how rabies are normally transmitted.

In addition to eating mosquitoes bats are important pollinators and eat crop damaging insects. Without bats the insect population would be horrific. They are such fascinating creatures. But people are right, bats can carry rabies so it is important to be cautious in such situations. The best plan would have been to call animal control.

You should also have this woman talk to her Dr about a bat in her home, she may need a shot.

We all had to get rabies shots for this very reason. We woke up to a bat flying around the house.

They are good for 10 years. If you have another rabies incident, you just need a booster.

10 years?! They told me in our ER that they were good for a year, though we wouldn't have to get the immune globulin shot again. 

And free shots from the health department *weeping* We spent $1500 on rabies shots for just two of us, and that's WITH good insurance!