Menu

Has anyone been to the space center in Huntsville, AL?

Slipper

Dh and the kids visited last month and felt the exhibits on space exploration- moon era stuff- were shoved way off in a corner and replaced by corporate sponsored exhibits. They had a good time but said it was very different than the last time we were there. 

In the mid 80's, I worked on a temporary job assignment in Huntsville, and I was there, 2 or 3 times. From what a PP mentioned, possibly a better idea is to save your $, add more days, and go to Kennedy Space Center in FL.  My (pregnant) wife, late best friend and I had the spectacular experience of being on KSC, on 19 May 2000, to watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis, STS-101.  They have just opened the display of Space Shuttle Atlantis, at KSC.  If you can go to KSC, go. BTW, it is only about 3 hours from Orlando, home to Mickey and others... Enjoy!

Apologies in advance for spelling.... I'm typing with a bandaged finger.

Dh and the kids visited last month and felt the exhibits on space exploration- moon era stuff- were shoved way off in a corner and replaced by corporate sponsored exhibits. They had a good time but said it was very different than the last time we were there. 

We were there just last week and thought the same thing. We have been several times over the years and were quite disappointed this time. The entire area where the artifacts used to be was a big traveling exhibit (i.e. elecronic touch screen stuff), that interested none of us. The artifacts are now housed with the big Saturn V, but seem 'stuck in a corner'. We couldn't decide if it was our imagination or reality, but it seemed like there were fewer artifacts than before. The building is huge, to it may just be an illusion, but it could definitely be better done.

Plus, despite it being summer vacation, the concessions over at the rocket display was closed so we had to buy $2.25 water from a vending machine, and the sno-cone/feozen ice whatever was closed, which disappointed my nephew. In addition, they closed the gift shop at the rocket 15 minutes early and by the time we made our way back to the main shop, they, too, were closed, as was the Mission to Mars ride, with 10 minutes left to 'official' closint time!! Oh, and not that we wanted it, but there was a cute ice cream machine with a robot that dispensed ice cream w/toppings and it was out of order.

Thanks. They offer a family three day week-end space camp that I'm considering. With the travel and actual cost of the camp, I want to make sure that it will be worth it.

If you are considering a space camp adventure, then, yes, you may really enjoy yourself. If you are just going as a famiy for a day visit, then you might want to consider something else.

Another thing that annoyed us was that our 50" tall 8 y/o nephew couldn't ride Space Shot as he was too small (understandable, as it's a ride for those who are older/bigger), and the 'kid play area' at the big rocket was for toddlers, so we hoped he could go on the Energy Depletion ride (like a 'baby space shot'), but alas... he was two inches too tall. He was also too short for the Hummer & Helicoper simulators.  Since the rock wall required "shoes" (but didn't explain this online), he wore flip flops and couldn't go (Rock City had no problem with flops OR bare feet). It turned out that none of his shoes would have worked anyway.... no flip flops, no sandals, no hard-bottomed shoes, etc. ??? That leaves tennis shoes/sneakers, which he has none of. So, the ONLY thing he "did" was Mission to Mars (which inexplicably closed early!) The centrifuge ride thing was also not running.

We were very disappointed, especially since the 8year old had almost nothing 'to do' but look at plaques. The campers, however, get to do things that general admission folks don't.

Oh!!! The space center does have a Summer Pass for $40 which is for one adult and two kids. You can then add three more people for $10 each. The pass is good through Labor Day AND is good at museums with reciprocal admission agreements. So, while we were disappointed (and felt bad for our nephew), we may end up using the admission at a different museum over the summer (the kids' museum in Nashville, B'ham, one in Atlanta, etc).