Menu

Beginning Logic: Building Thinking Skills VS. Logic Liftoff/Countdown

1A3Cs

My daughter is in 4th grade and beginning logic. She's a visual/kinestethic learner (with mild dyslexia). I'm attempting to find the best introduction to logic for her, and I've narrowed it down to either the Critical Thinking Skills Company 'Building Thinking Skills' series, or the Logic Liftoff/Logic Countdown series.

Cost wise the latter is a lot less expensive, and looks like it's more "fun", but I haven't heard much about it.

Thoughts?

I've only seen Building Thinking Skills. We use the Logic Liftoff series. My third graders have slowly done the first book this year. I like how it introduces lots of different kinds of logic and how the series builds toward a gentle introduction of formal logic by the final book. They're thin. We do a couple of pages and then put it aside for awhile, then pull it out again and do a few more. My kids enjoy them. We did Lollipop Logic back in kindy and the Logic Safari series as well. They've enjoyed all the Prufrock books we've done.

We did both and for 4th grader I would choose Building Thinking Skills 2. We like Logic Lift-off a lot but we also did Building Thinking Skills 3: Figural with my 5 grader who is very strong in logic. She is done with the book. We skipped Building Thinking Skills book 2 completely.

Books are different so they are not overlap in topics covered. This year we will be doing last book of Logic Lift off series. We did Logic Safari 3 but if you do Logic Lift off books you do not need Logic Safari at all.