Menu

Tips for buying a comforter

Amethyst

I need to buy a new twin-sized comforter for my 20 year old's bed. The last time I bought a comforter, I bought it at Target. I'm very disappointed in it. It just feels cheap. It's a little lighter-weight than I would like, and ds18 also complains that it just doesn't feel good next to his skin. So, I want to buy a better quality comforter this time. I don't want a down comforter with duvet comforter. I just want a comforter. And I don't want bed-in-a-bag either because ds20 has no use for shams and bedskirts and I hate those cheap sheets that always come in those sets. I know to look for thread count when buying good sheets, but how do you know what to look for in a quality comforter? TIA

It seems touch/feel and weight matter to you and him. Make sure it feels soft. Maybe check out a department store that has them out for display so you can feel the quality. You might also consider having him fold the comforter at his feet and using a blanket instead. Blankets are easier to wash and feel softer. It will allow the comforter to last longer too. Another suggestion is to buy a quilt with softer fabric.

Bed Bath & Beyond sells comforters by themselves. Many are on display so he could feel them and find a preferred brand or style. They can be pricey, but if you get on their mailing list they frequently send 20% off coupons in the mail.