Menu

Transcript question

Most people would put that on his extracurricular list, not his transcript.

Agree. It's important for college admission and scholarships to show diverse interests -- that your student did more than academics and racked up credits. :)

BTW -- looks like you are in Kentucky; you might see if DS is eligible to apply for any scholarships due to his 4-H involvement... http://kentucky4hfoundation.org/scholarships/

Okay, I did not know there was such a thing as an extracurricular list. Would someone please explain more? I've only seen samples of a 1 page transcript. I was just going to add in gun safety and marksmanship 1 and 2 or something like that. Ad I prob wouldn't do it 4 times, but I was thinking twice. I'm thinking I need to study transcripts a bit more.

Okay, I did not know there was such a thing as an extracurricular list. Would someone please explain more? I've only seen samples of a 1 page transcript. I was just going to add in gun safety and marksmanship 1 and 2 or something like that. Ad I prob wouldn't do it 4 times, but I was thinking twice. I'm thinking I need to study transcripts a bit more.

College applications ask you to list your extracurricular activities--it's a section on the application form itself usually, and often you list the grades (9-12) in which you participated in the activity, any leadership positions held, and any honors/awards achieved.

What you can do is keep a list of everything for your own records, with all the details of your ds's partcipation. Then refer to it to fill in the applications. (In some cases, if you have it in a nice format, and the application calls for it, you might attach your own document to the application. It all depends on the college and the application at hand.)

Thanks so much, this I didn't know. Any guidelines on what to call an elective and what to call something that needs to go on an extracurricular list? Would this maybe just depend on if I needed electives for graduation or not?

Also, is there a rule of thumb to know how many credits to graduate with, or how many is too many? Ky's pre-college curriculum says 24 credits, but some local schools are requiring 28 credits for graduation. We do not have to follow what the local schools, but I do want to at least do the pre-college curriculum requirements. Would I just alter the transcript depending on what school we apply for? This I 4 years in advance, but I want to have a clue on my looking ahead planning :).

Thank you,

Alison

My son swims and sails. Whether he swims for the high school team or a club team, this is listed as an extracurricular activity. For sailing, his participation on a general high school sailing team in both the fall and the spring will be listed on the same extracurricular activity list. However, this summer I am requiring him to come up with a conditioning plan for laser sailing; he will follow his plan, write a paper, and then I will add in his hours from race camp over the summer to make a PE credit. This will go on his transcript.

The way I have differentiated is that the stuff during the school year are team sports and are extracurricular. The summer sailing is more like a class and I have added academic requirements that are similar to our local public school classes to make it credit-worthy.

College applications ask you to list your extracurricular activities--it's a section on the application form itself usually, and often you list the grades (9-12) in which you participated in the activity, any leadership positions held, and any honors/awards achieved.

Yes. Your son will likely be asked for the number of hours he participated in each of his extracurricular activities so he (or you) should keep track.

Regards,

Kareni