Menu

7th grade science - Physics? maybe?

Murphy101

Editing to add another question, get opinions...

I have an older son doing Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and I'm wondering if dd could join in with that? It would certainly be easier on me, but only if it works out. I'd be willing to spread it out over 7th and 8th grade...

Hmmm. Opinions?

-------

Original post:

I had planned up until an hour ago to use the same Kolbe lesson plans and Holt science text I've used for the previous 7th graders. But I just do not want to do it again.

We really enjoyed Real Science 4 Kids biology and chemistry. We are doing CCM Delta, which has life science memory work. She went through Seton's little 7th grade science worktext in a month. Enjoyed it okay.

I do not want to use BJU, Abeka, Apologia.

I have Abeka physical science and a somewhat decent science reference shelf in the home library. I guess I can use that. Sigh. But I just. Don't. Wanna.

I was eyeing Elemental Science's classic texts... But there isn't much on their website and I really do not like cd or download programs. (I live in fear of the next eminent computer crash!) It looks like intriguing...

Any opinions? What are y'all using?

Could you swing Rainbow Science? I think Bibliomania has some used texts. You can always throw together your own experiments. My boys found the text to be enjoyable reading. Short, concise chapters with activities to go along...

Or go another direction and do something like astronomy or geography. I loved using Runkles Geography along with a mapping book for 8th grade. It has a lot of physical science in it and my boys found it to be a good read.

I've always been intrigued with these: Dr. Daves Teaching Manuals by Royal Fireworks Press (the MCT folks).

Personally, I love to do interesting science in the years before high school. In high school it's much harder to go outside the standard box of biology, chemistry, and physics. Those years before high school were golden years in which we had fun with science. And, if it makes you feel better, I, too, often changed curriculum because I just could not bear to teach the same thing again :)

I am hoping to either swap or keep the expense under $50. Even used, I think biblio is more than that for rainbow and i am just not up to throwing experiments together this year. I do have quite a bit of science materials on hand tho, so if it has a decent list and explaination already, I don't think I'd have much to buy. Considering I do have science I can use, dh is going to be justifiably mildly tho silently grumbly if I still buy something, iykwim. ;)

What I'd really like is something literature and experiment based or something similiar to Real Science 4 Kids in format. That seems easier to find in the younger grades, but not so much in middle school and up.

What's everyone think of the Life of Fred math and science combo texts? Probably not deep enough content for a stand alone?...sigh

Could you swing Rainbow Science? I think Bibliomania has some used texts. You can always throw together your own experiments. My boys found the text to be enjoyable reading. Short, concise chapters with activities to go along...

Or go another direction and do something like astronomy or geography. I loved using Runkles Geography along with a mapping book for 8th grade. It has a lot of physical science in it and my boys found it to be a good read.

I've always been intrigued with these: Dr. Daves Teaching Manuals by Royal Fireworks Press (the MCT folks).

Personally, I love to do interesting science in the years before high school. In high school it's much harder to go outside the standard box of biology, chemistry, and physics. Those years before high school were golden years in which we had fun with science. And, if it makes you feel better, I, too, often changed curriculum because I just could not bear to teach the same thing again :)

Runkles... does that cover any astronomy?

I was eyeing Elemental Science's classic texts... But there isn't much on their website and I really do not like cd or download programs. (I live in fear of the next eminent computer crash!) It looks like intriguing...

What I'd really like is something literature and experiment based or something similiar to Real Science 4 Kids in format. That seems easier to find in the younger grades, but not so much in middle school and up.

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to chime in and clarify that Elemental Science classic isn't really a "science text". It is, rather, a guide/schedule that organizes a systematic study of science using widely-published secular encyclopedias, i.e., DK, Kingfisher, etc. We use it and DS loves it. So for the logic stage you get a scheduled-out, open-and-go list of reading assignments, writing assignments, vocab lists, memory work, discussion questions, tests, weekly hands-on labs you can do at home, etc.. So . . . not really literature-based, more encyclopedia-based. Going on what you've written, probably not what you're looking for. :coolgleamA: We use Elemental Science and add in TOPS kits and kits/projects from Home Science Tools for even more fun.

That might be okay. I suppose I could just use books off my shelves...

I'd love to continue using Real Science 4 Kids, but the bottomline is I can't afford to pay over $100 a year for ONE subject.

I'm currently contemplating the Earth/Astronomy logic stage from Elemental Science or McHenry's Brain, Cell, and Botany sets. I could do either for approx $50.

The major draw back of either is doing the digital download. The only way I see that working is if I promptly print & bind it all myself. Which I suppose I can do... Just thing out loud...

Does anyone have an opinion about which is more in depth or better put together?

[/size]

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to chime in and clarify that Elemental Science classic isn't really a "science text". It is, rather, a guide/schedule that organizes a systematic study of science using widely-published secular encyclopedias, i.e., DK, Kingfisher, etc. We use it and DS loves it. So for the logic stage you get a scheduled-out, open-and-go list of reading assignments, writing assignments, vocab lists, memory work, discussion questions, tests, weekly hands-on labs you can do at home, etc.. So . . . not really literature-based, more encyclopedia-based. Going on what you've written, probably not what you're looking for. :coolgleamA: We use Elemental Science and add in TOPS kits and kits/projects from Home Science Tools for even more fun.

Does anyone have an opinion about which is more in depth or better put together?

I can only speak for McHenry, but her curricula is very in depth and rigorous - without the kiddo eve knowing that it is, lol. It's fun, engaging, and introduces upper level science concepts in a VERY accessible fashion.

The depth of Elemental Science will depend on what encyclopedia(s) you use as the source text. You mentioned just using books you have on your shelves, and that could definitely work, but I don't know if I would recommend using it with encyclopedias other than the ones it was written for. (You can see the required and optional encyclopedia titles & their ISBNs in the samples.) You certainly CAN use different encyclopedias, but then you're not taking full advantage of the main benefit of the guide/schedule, which is that the assignments are geared towards specific page numbers, vocab lists, discussion Q&A. If you use different encyclopedias, then you'll have to substitute page numbers and perhaps some topics. IMO, one of the best features of ES is that I don't have to tweak it or look up alternatives every week, I use it as written, open and go. If I had the time and willingness to re-write it every week, I'd probably just create something myself. YMMV.

I've never used McHenry's Brain, Cells, or Botany, but we have used The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. We really enjoyed them, but they were just supplemental at our house. Full of in-depth info and great activities, but we had to skip lots of sections because they were reinforcement activities geared to class/co-op situations and we just couldn't/wouldn't do them at home with my one student. Also, doing it the way we did, each book only took about a month to complete. Again, YMMV. Maybe Brain, Cells or Botany are quite a bit different, though.

A $50 budget, for 7th grade science, might be a pretty tall order, unless you have great luck buying used or can use your library heavily. Have you looked at NOEO? It uses "real" non-fiction science books. Its probably over your $50 budget, but you could just pick the books and hands-on kits that are most critical to you or most appealing. That might save some money for you. Or maybe your library would have many of the required books. Maybe worth a look.

NOEO might be below her level?

Ages 9-12 = 4-6 grades?

My dd is 12 and working through 7th grade?

ETA:

I have all the books recommended for level II NOEO. I don't have micro scope slides or everything in the science kits. (the stupid puppy ate a box full of owl pellets a few weeks ago. *eyeroll* or brine shrimp cyst)

I'd have to pull the books out and see if she has any interests in re reading them...

Since you used Holt previously, would CPO be an option? Or are you wanting to get away from the typical textbooks? CPO has labs, worksheets, & lots of videos and resources free on their website. I bought CPO Earth student, TM and lab workbook for around $35 total in like-new condition.

Since you used Holt previously, would CPO be an option? Or are you wanting to get away from the typical textbooks? CPO has labs, worksheets, & lots of videos and resources free on their website.

Idk. It sure didn't look anywhere near my $50 price range and seems rather complicated to buy used.

I just came back to also ask about:

Mr.Q classic physical science

And Pandia Press' Biology 2 Odyssey

Idk. It sure didn't look anywhere near my $50 price range and seems rather complicated to buy used.

I just came back to also ask about:

Mr.Q classic physical science

And Pandia Press' Biology 2 Odyssey

Got it, sorry, was just trying to be helpful. Best of luck in your search.

If you're willing to print and bind it yourself, CPO's Earth, Life, and Physical student texts can be downloaded for free. Or you can find them for $20-30 on used sites. If you're interested look for those threads full of links that Arcadia posts. The ancillaries can be downloaded for free right from CPO's website. I haven't used this option yet, but I've been watching it for my science hungry rising 5th grader to use in his second semester.

To actually answer the question my seventh grader used Conceptual Physical Science by Hewitt as her main text this past school year. It's a meaty textbook, but you can tell the author enjoys what he does.

Since you used Holt previously, would CPO be an option? Or are you wanting to get away from the typical textbooks? CPO has labs, worksheets, & lots of videos and resources free on their website. I bought CPO Earth student, TM and lab workbook for around $35 total in like-new condition.

Martha, If you consider CPO, you can e-mail the rep for Oklahoma and they will send you the student text and investigations book for free. Then you can either purchase a used copy of the teacher book, or I think there are pdfs of it online?

Martha, If you consider CPO, you can e-mail the rep for Oklahoma and they will send you the student text and investigations book for free. Then you can either purchase a used copy of the teacher book, or I think there are pdfs of it online?

Well hey now, that's sure nifty! Any chance you have the rep info you can PM me?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, look through the text and see if you think your dd would be alright to tag along. :)

However, if she is going to need to read through it at a slower pace than your ds, I don't know that it will be any easier for you than just getting her a different science program.

Also, remember Hewitt has a Physical Science text for junior high. If you like Hewitt, but the Physics text isn't a good fit, you could check out the Physical Science.

HTH-

Mandy