Menu

cross posting from logic board: Does this type of logic curriculum exist?

My daughter and I just read the first chapter of A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston. She and I both agreed we learned more in those 9 pages and 30 minutes, than 62 pages and 24 hours of Introductory Logic by James B. Nance.

I'm looking for logic curriculum that would present a characteristic of a good argument like avoiding loaded emotional language, provide both positive and negative examples, and then provide the student with negative examples to improve. I would like these characteristics to slowly build to the end goal of producing a well written argumentative or persuasive essay. Ideally we want to pursue AP Language after 2 more years of writing.

The Elegant Essay from IEW is somewhat structured this way, but doesn't go far enough.

Other thoughts:

She and I both do best with practical application.

Writing is the vehicle I want to use to teach logic for her.

I have no logic background and can spend, at the most,1-2 hours a week teaching this subject.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Look at Classical Academic Press for The Art of Argument, which teaches the fundamentals of informal logic and uses real life applications, including creating your own fallacies. This can be followed up by The Argument Builder which then teaches how to build a good, sound, argument.

HTH!

Look at the Workbook for Arguments by the same author as the Rulebook. It's essentially the rulebook expanded to include writing topics, much more in depth and applicable.

Ds is finishing up this now, it has been really great in that it links to everyday scenarios. The practice problems look like things you'd see in any newspaper, and it has also Internet links for further examples. I remember towards the beginning they even linked to several tv ads and even the intro to a Simpsons episode to talk about reading between the lines.

I think what you are really looking for is a rhetoric and argumentation course, not logic.

And in some ways I think the best way to learn this is to do in through some other format. Writing persuasive essays, crafting and delivering persuasive speeches, and debate.

Look at the Workbook for Arguments by the same author as the Rulebook. It's essentially the rulebook expanded to include writing topics, much more in depth and applicable.

Oh--thanks for posting this! My friend, Grace, teaches "Writing Arguments" using a Rulebook of Arguments. I showed her this, and she was so excited to discover it. I think that she will probably switch to this!

I posted a response on the Logic board but I'll post it here also since there are different folks following the thread here.

Classical Writing Herodotus might be what you are looking for. The Herodotus student guide schedules in Traditional Logic 1 during most of the chapters and then the last chapter is meant to be done after finishing TL. The last chapter focuses on logic, building on what was learned in TL, and applies all the logic to their argumentative essays (which they have been learning about through the book).

http://www.classicalwriting.com/Herodotus.htm