Menu

Microbiology

Are there any homeschool Microbiology programs out there? My 15 yo really wants to do Microbiology this year but I'm not sure what to use for that. My dh was planning to do Microbiology with her and I thought he was going to pull the materials together himself but he told me this week he really doesn't have time to do that and asked if I could just buy a curriculum and he could help dd with it. Now I'm searching and I'm not finding much. She did Biology this year so this would be beyond General Biology. I want to try to make it a full 1.0 credit with lab.

My dh knows microbiology well and is planning to work with dd on the course. Even finding a good textbook for them to work off of might be enough if anyone has any suggestions.

My dad was a microbiologist. He suggested this book: http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Hunters-Paul-Kruif/dp/0156027771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372350650&sr=8-1&keywords=microbe+hunters

It is not science but a history of the beginnings of microbiology with a focus on the individuals who shaped it through history.

Read the reviews as it is old and some dated parts of it may be considered offensive (although I have read it I did not spot anything, but so much depends on you).

I found it fascinating both what they did but also the climate of scientific study and the risks they took.