Menu

Classical Conversations Directors-need advice!

happyWImom

There is an urgent need of a CC director in my area (prev. director is moving suddenly) and I am cautiously exploring the possibility. But, I need unbiased advice/info. The good, bad & ugly, please! It is a brand new CC Community. There was one that started either a year or 2 ago about 20 miles from the new one & took off so well, they decided to start this one in the fall.

I have never done CC, either, so it would all be new to me. Am I crazy to even consider it????

I wouldn't do it having not been in the program. I think it is difficult to lead a community that you haven't seen in operation. Also, people tend to buck new leadership, especially if they don't know them. The disadvantage being you haven't seen how the group works together and what issues or things that might be done could be hot topics and create conflict.

I wouldn't do it having not been in the program. I think it is difficult to lead a community that you haven't seen in operation. Also, people tend to buck new leadership, especially if they don't know them. The disadvantage being you haven't seen how the group works together and what issues or things that might be done could be hot topics and create conflict.

Since it is an offshoot of the 1st group, I think the families are all new. The person who was going to be director, however, has had her kids in CC the past year. So even though she never tutored herself, she obviously new the program!

I'm going in new, basically! We've done PART of one semester a few years ago, which I tutored. That's it! I am taking on a community which has been in place for one full year. The families who are staying have been a wonderful help and blessing to me! The previous director sat down with me and gave me lots of advice. My support manager helps a lot, and going to practicum helped tremendously! At practicum, during tutor training, I was able to speak with many experienced directors. So, obviously, I would do it!

I am waiting to speak with the current director (who is still "technically" in place-til she moves or a new one is found) until I get more info. I don't want to raise her hopes at this point. :001_smile:

One of my big concerns is time. How much time do you envision putting into it, as director? The reason I ask, is that prior to this, when we were contemplating just joining CC, I knew we couldn't afford it & I was thinking about tutoring, but doing it without having been in CC seemed to overwhelming to me!! So, does that make me completely unrealistic in this case???

I've just been hearing such good things about CC, and the Essentials class especially appeals to me. (My dc are 9 &11) I know our community will be a good one, and that is another thing drawing me in. But still..... I need to pray about it more, that is for sure.

I would say don't do it. As a tutor that had a new director last year, it was very difficult because she had never been through a cycle & she wasn't much help to the tutors. She had been in CC for one year & hadn't tutored that year. My director the year before was a seasoned CC tutor & she was so helpful to me. I really feel that to be a director, you need to go through at least 2 cycles & have been a tutor. That's just my two cents!

And as my FIL used to say, "A need is not a call."

I'm more of a teacher than an administrator, so every time they asked me to be a director, I turned them down. I appreciated all three directors I worked for as a tutor, but it isn't something that I ever felt called to do.

And as my FIL used to say, "A need is not a call."

I'm more of a teacher than an administrator, so every time they asked me to be a director, I turned them down. I appreciated all three directors I worked for as a tutor, but it isn't something that I ever felt called to do.

I agree that this is key to the decision. I don't believe past tutoring experience is necessary. Our director never tutored but is a great administrator, community builder, and leader. Consider your own gifts and continue to pray!