Menu

DoD School overseas...questions...comments...enlighten me :D

So...IF my husband gets the job in Naples, Italy this time (interview on Weds 6/26)...we still plan to home school. However, policies there would allow my children to take classes individually, as well as participate in clubs/sports. It would be a brave new world!!

Anyone here have experience taking selective classes this way (thinking...art, music, advanced math, science, foreign language...)

I appreciate your input as I contemplate this potential change in our lives :D

Italy? Wow. Just WOW!!!

Boy, I would be tempted to take all the classes available (oh, and ditto for your kids), travel to see and eat everything, immerse my kids in the language so they become fluent, and see every art museum, and historic building in the country. Then I would visit other countries! That sounds like a great curriculum!

Did I mention I would see all the art and historic buildings? And I'd eat where the locals eat?

*Trying not to be jealous!* (((Lisa)))

ETA: my friend lived there and homeschooled when her dc were younger, not yet in high school. I would ask her more about it for you, but her father died last night. :(

I would ask about flexibility of travel before committing to any classes. When we were in Germany, the DoD schools were flexible at the lower levels but I do not know about high school.

Angie--this is basically an American high school on base if it is like the DoD schools in Germany. In Germany, the schools were very good since it was a sought after assignment and they had a lot of applicants for every position. I would imaging Italy would be similar, but I do not know for sure. If it is an international school, the quality should be even better but again, I would ask about flexibility. You want to be able to see Europe and not be tied down to a rigid schedule.

I knew families who used partial enrollment when we were in Japan. A couple things to consider. You have to be in class each time it meets. Excused absences are only for very particular grounds and might still be limited. You're talking about 4-5 classes. That's almost full enrollment.

Will you be living on the same base as the school or will you have to add commuting time. Could eat up a lot of the day. Will they require an adult to sign him in and out of campus mid-day.

I knew families who used partial enrollment when we were in Japan. A couple things to consider. You have to be in class each time it meets. Excused absences are only for very particular grounds and might still be limited. You're talking about 4-5 classes. That's almost full enrollment.

Will you be living on the same base as the school or will you have to add commuting time. Could eat up a lot of the day. Will they require an adult to sign him in and out of campus mid-day.

We would be living "on the economy" -- dh works for MSC, no base housing for us (unless that has changed...of course, with 5 kids, that might be moot anyhow), so we would have to commute. My oldest would probably take Math, Foreign Language and Guitar (assuming it's available), oldest dd would just be taking foreign language, art & music this year...much of what we took would depend upon what they would be *allowed* to take (the children are ahead of standard curricula for math...both of my oldest are already in high school sequences...but they aren't in high school). I kind of expected that they would need to be there every time the doors are open, though ;) Of course, since gov't furloughs include the DOD schools...they will be closed every Monday, unless (or until) the budget is resolved. This really matters most to my oldest two, because they will either complete or begin high school there... my middle would complete 8th grade, and then the two youngest wouldn't leave the elementary level there.

There is also an international school, but I'm not sure how that works... I know the American school is free to us (I believe).

I'm most interested in having them take courses that I would normally be shelling out big $$$ for them to take on-line, with tutors, etc. So, saving $$$, but giving them more or less the "best opportunities" I can would be worth a bit less flexibility. We won't have tons of money to travel all the time on our own, but we do have a short list of places we'd like to visit over 5 years (Greece, Sicily, Spain, France, Germany, Austria, UK and Sweden). Those could be done during regular breaks...or in conjunction with a swim meet <grin>)

My oldest took classes at a dod school in Korea in middle school. I can't remember specifically, but I believe enrollment is limited to available spaces for first military, then dod, then contractors, so your status could affect (effect?I never can keep that straight) a slot in the school if it's full. We loved it, though it does tie you down to the school schedule IMO we had no problems being out for travel. Many kids, full time students or no, will be out for travel opportunities, especially in Europe. The schools anticipate and work around those military things like parents returning from deployments, moving mid year, travel back to the us, etc that happen during the school year. He took classes at a private international school in another Asian country and they also had no problem with kids out for travel, etc.

Now the local, us public high school he takes 2 classes at- they are draconian! So no school year travel for us any more.

My oldest took classes at a dod school in Korea in middle school. I can't remember specifically, but I believe enrollment is limited to available spaces for first military, then dod, then contractors, so your status could affect (effect?I never can keep that straight) a slot in the school if it's full. We loved it, though it does tie you down to the school schedule IMO we had no problems being out for travel. Many kids, full time students or no, will be out for travel opportunities, especially in Europe. The schools anticipate and work around those military things like parents returning from deployments, moving mid year, travel back to the us, etc that happen during the school year. He took classes at a private international school in another Asian country and they also had no problem with kids out for travel, etc.

Now the local, us public high school he takes 2 classes at- they are draconian! So no school year travel for us any more.

We're under the Department of the Navy...so would fall under DoD. But, since we aren't active duty, no base housing. But, I love the idea of being able to travel now and then!

I found the school liaison contact information...but probably best not to bother her until we know for certain what's happening (even though I really, really want to ask ;)

I think even within DOD billets there might be some that are space required for school spots and some that are space available. You might check on the billet.

I would go ahead and contact the school liaison to ask questions or for contacts. That's what they are for.

We fall under Category 1-F (Space Required, Tuition-Free) :D