Menu

Did anybody else hear Science Friday today--"Letter to A Young Scientist"?

I really enjoyed hearing the interview on Sci Fri today of E. O Wilson. It gave me some things to think about. Among other things, he was positing that great scientists don't necessarily need to be great at math. He talked about regularly doing "dirty science," just playing with experiments before sitting down to do rigorous scientific method style experiments. He talked about the importance of imagination. He talked about how he thought it was more valuable for a kid to spend a summer outside exploring the woods rather than attending a science camp.

I enjoyed hearing a much older person look back on a very long career, sharing what he thinks are important assets in becoming a scientist.

Here's the link--http://sciencefriday...scientists.html

Here's an article excerpt about his views on math: http://online.wsj.co...3650327184.html

He talked about regularly doing "dirty science," just playing with experiments before sitting down to do rigorous scientific method style experiments.

This is absolutely true. I call it the preliminary investigation stage. Without it, you are not knowledgeable enough to actually choose a decent question or design appropriate methods to answer it.

Ruth in NZ

I didn't hear the show today, but I've read the book. As a working scientist, I think it is spot-on, and I have recommended it. :)

Was it readable? Ira Flato was saying that he thought it was Wilson's most accessible book, but a reviewer on one of the Sci Fri links gave the opposite impression.

Was it readable? Ira Flato was saying that he thought it was Wilson's most accessible book, but a reviewer on one of the Sci Fri links gave the opposite impression.

I thought it was very accessible, written to the lay enthusiast. It is really a book of reflections and advice for aspiring scientist, not very technical, and it is a rather short collection of short essays, so I am not sure why it would be difficult going unless someone just didn't go for that style of writing.

I must say this man is pretty amazing at 84 years old to be authoring books like this. You can tell is his speech and demeanor that he really wants to encourage those who may not consider scientific pursuits to reconsider even if not genius mathematicians, etc...

I must say this man is pretty amazing at 84 years old to be authoring books like this. You can tell is his speech and demeanor that he really wants to encourage those who may not consider scientific pursuits to reconsider even if not genius mathematicians, etc...

I agree. i appreciated hearing "the long view," because my perspective is too short right now. I have a kids from 4-15 and I'm in the thick of it. Hearing him talk about doing science and becoming a scientist encourages me to do everything I can to stoke the kiddos' curiosity. But I must go now...one of the kiddos just brought in a worm and tells me we must take it to the vet....