Menu

A Spelling Curriculum Like This

My daughter just finished up 2nd grade at a private school and I'm looking for a spelling curriculum similar to the one she was using in school because it worked really well for her. It went like this (every week):

Monday: The teacher would teach the spelling rule(s) and provide a list (of 20 words) for the students to copy. For homework, they would write each word twice (so a total of 3 times on Monday).

Tuesday: The students would write 5 sentences using only 5 spelling words.

Wednesday: The students would put the spelling words in alphabetical order.

Thursday: spelling pretest

Friday: spelling test

I suppose I don't need a curriculum with tiles and flash cards and various busywork, but is there a resource that provides rules and a comprehensive list of words so that I don't have to make up my own lists and I can just teach the rules, provide the list, and assign the above assignments?

Have you looked at BJU Spelling? I think it is pretty similar (though not exactly) to what you described. There is a word list and 4 days of activities (alphabetical order or word sorts by spelling pattern). I haven't seen the Grade 3 book, only 1 and 2. Or you could just go with a manual/program that gives lists and follow your own (described above) format. Something like Natural Speller? (This may not be what I'm thinking of.... but something with lists by grade.)

Spelling Plus is mostly just lists. While they have their own method that they explain in there, you could easily just take their words and apply your method instead. They are arranged by rule and include an explanation of the spelling rules.

Spelling Plus is mostly just lists. While they have their own method that they explain in there, you could easily just take their words and apply your method instead. They are arranged by rule and include an explanation of the spelling rules.

I agree that Spelling Plus would be a perfect match. Lists are organized by grade with an explanation of the rule for each list. You could then choose what you want your dd to do with the words each day. I'm planning to use it with my ds next year in this exact way.