Menu

Math and STEM - for dummies, please!!

OK, talk slowly to me, I won't be insulted - promise. :D

OK. DD#1 loves science and plans to do "something" in a science-related field - maybe a teacher, but she is really just beginning to see what's out there. She likes microscopes, genetics, problem-solving, saving-the-world-and-its-environment, and math - not so much life/animal science or medical science. Put the kid in a laboratory, and you probably don't have to look for her for a full week - she is that stoked about it. :001_rolleyes: She is beginning 10th grade this fall.

She's taken Algebra I (Saxon) in 8th grade, Algebra II (Saxon) in 9th grade, and Biology (BJU & Miller-Levine) in 9th grade.

For 10th grade, the plan is Geometry with Advanced Algebra (1st half of the Saxon Advanced Math textbook) and Chemistry (Chang/Apologia) and Environmental Science (undecided... perhaps with PA Homeschoolers, perhaps on our own).

I keep reading that, for STEM-oriented kids, it's all about math, Math, MATH! At her current pace, she will take Calculus her senior year in high school (all using Saxon).

Should I, at this point, consider adding something else for math? She does well with math - in Saxon, she maybe misses one problem every other lesson and it is always a "duh" occurrence. She reads the textbook and completes the lesson 100% on her own, never looks at the solution manual, and has had to clarify something via a YouTube video one time in the past 2 years. In real-life applications, she does well , pulling something she's learned out of her head and applying it to the real situation without being told what to do, so I feel good about the Saxon - BUT . . .

I've been encouraged by others to use AOPS, but was overwhelmed myself at the "difference" of it and unsure of whether we could implement it or not. Now that she's 15 years old - is it too late to switch gears? Maybe sign up for their class? Or do the lower-level Algebra AOPS in addition to the Saxon? Or would it totally screw her up? And how on earth do you figure out what level to begin with?!?

Her current 10th grade schedule - I am second-guessing the Enviro. Science. It's a HUGE interest of hers and she is already committed to a few projects which would qualify as labs for the class itself. But I am wondering if she should do "more" with the Math and skip the Enviro Science as a class (just continue with her projects as planned currently). I don't think she will have time to do "more" math and Enviro Sci. . . but the Enviro Sci would be an AP class...

UGH! This is difficult!

English II (IEW, TOG Yr 4, added vocabulary work)

Geometry with Advanced Algebra (Saxon)

Chemistry I (Chang/Apologia)

French II (BJU)

Environmental Science (taking the AP exam at the end of the year)

World Geography & Cultures

US History Tapestry of Grace

Band (she will spend 8-9 hours per week in actual class time for band, not including the time spent actually practicing at home - and she does hope to continue playing in college)

There are 2 free permaculture courses online - one is 70 hours and is distinctly new age, the other is a 40 hr college course and balanced. It covers environmental science, sustainability, and design (as in engineering topics). There is also an aquaculture course online (cost 100) through ATOLL that also includes design fundamentals and aquaponics. We use Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Engineering books because they present college level topics for highschool. anyone who wants to use the program should really begin with Gateway (at least read through it). My boy is also beginning saxon ad math next year. He is doing a second year on biology, has already had 2 years of simple physics and 1 year of engineering. I'm having him focus on "thinking and expression" this year. Yeah - everyone says MATH MATH = so we doubled up on the math. He did Saxon algebra 1 and geometry this past year (the alg. was a review - he had already completed TT alg 1) and he also did LOF pre-algebra biology and physics (very simple and enjoyable reviews while learning some interesting things). so, this coming year is 2 lessons a day of alg 2 with LOF 1 day a week and begin ad math in Nov. - 2 hrs a day (1 lesson) and hyperbolic geometry and trig. reinforcement (with no ad math) 1 day a week to give a break from the rigor. His engineering/electronics/permaculture study is only 4 days a week and 1 day of moral philosophy/history lecture. Biology might end up only being 1 more semester (he prefers physics). Ive been told he should do AoP - and we probably will - but not for 10th - maybe for next summer - he does 2 part-time days each week in summer). I'm sure this didn't answer any of your questions - but maybe it might give you ideas. Your schedule looks good - quite full and balanced in my opinion.

Never change a running system! If Saxon works well for her and she likes it, keep doing Saxon math. Calculus in senior year is absolutely fine for a STEM major. Please note that I am saying this as somebody for whom Saxon did not work at all, whose kids hated it, and who loves AoPS - but Saxon is a solid program for the students who do well with the method, especially the infinitesimal spiral.

I would not, at this point, switch to AoPS.

Her current 10th grade schedule - I am second-guessing the Enviro. Science. It's a HUGE interest of hers and she is already committed to a few projects which would qualify as labs for the class itself. But I am wondering if she should do "more" with the Math and skip the Enviro Science as a class (just continue with her projects as planned currently). I don't think she will have time to do "more" math and Enviro Sci. . . but the Enviro Sci would be an AP class...

You'd be crazy to drop what she LOVES for something extra in another subject!! I'd definitely go with the Environmental Science course, especially given that she has projects lined up already. And I'm saying this as another AoPS crazy person. Sounds like Saxon is working fine in your dd's case. As long as she can apply the math she's learned elsewhere (such as chem and physics), then I wouldn't worry. :001_smile:

Never change a running system! If Saxon works well for her and she likes it, keep doing Saxon math. Calculus in senior year is absolutely fine for a STEM major. Please note that I am saying this as somebody for whom Saxon did not work at all, whose kids hated it, and who loves AoPS - but Saxon is a solid program for the students who do well with the method, especially the infinitesimal spiral.

I would not, at this point, switch to AoPS.

I have 2 kids who went into engineering after using Saxon. One is a grad student now and the other just finished his sophomore year at the university, he is also getting a math degree. He did Saxon through Advanced math, then Calc I & II at the CC during his senior year. The other did the same but only did Calc I before college. My upcoming 10th grader is heading into engineering also and will do Saxon through Advanced math, then Calc I & II at the CC.

Ok, gosh I feel better!! Thank you guys! I'm going to mentally close the brain file for her 10th grade year and carry on as planned.

I just don't want to mess it up for her. Soooooooo stressful!!

The Saxon was like gruelling torture for dd#2, lol, but this dd loves it... it seems to speak her language. :)

Thanks!!

I can't stand Saxon, but I wouldn't change what is working well. Saxon obviously fits your dd well, so stick with it. If Saxon starts becoming an issue, that is when you would change.

I wouldn't add additional math either. That looks fine as-is.

I don't see a problem with doing Chemistry and Environmental Science together, as long as she can handle the load. Science is her passion, so let her run with it.

I would back off on one of the history courses though, unless you are planning on 1/2 credit each. It makes sense to do two sciences in one year when that is your passion. Also throwing in two histories is overkill. I would do just one of the history courses (unless they are two 1/2 credit courses rather than two 1 credit courses).

I would not change her from Saxon at this point. She seems to be understanding it and applying it beyond the scope of the text.

If your DD would like, you could consider supplementing with the original AOPS texts -- The Art of Problem Solving, Volume 1: the Basics is the first one, and the second is The Art of Problem Solving, Volume 2: and Beyond. These texts were intended to supplement problem-solving and additional topics for someone who was talented in math, enjoys math, could be doing math competitions, but was already doing well with a standard curriculum, which sounds exactly like your DD. She could also do this at a very slow pace if she liked, so it would not need to stop her from doing enviro science -- and it would be easy to do a chapter or two, then shelve it for a while, then do more when the pace slacked up. If you think this might also be an option, I would get the sample chapters (most of chapters 5 and 15 are excerpted) and have her skim them to see if she thinks she would enjoy it.