Menu

Science recommendations?

ajfries

I'm looking for a Science program/book for my K & PreK. I'm planning on doing it twice a week or so and would prefer something hands on that uses 'living books'. I know Science is something that I could easily throw together at this stage, but I'm afraid that, left to my own devices, I would get overwhelmed with choices and do nothing. :)

I like the looks of REAL Science, but since it's for 1st grade and up, I wonder if I would find myself supplementing things that are more on their level.

Any recommendations?

I have RSO Life and I wouldn't necessarily try it with much younger children.

I like Evan Moor's ScienceWorks. The level K-1 is great for pre school and K level. They're teacher books so expect some reproducing of the student sheets. It's a bit coloring book-ish, so if your kids don't like that then maybe look elsewhere. Outdoor Hour Challenges are great for Kinders as well.

ScienceWorks have book lists in the back for that topic. We've really learned a lot from those books more than anything else really.

Mudpies to Magnets is a fun activity book.

http://khtmontessori.com/shop/ These Montessori albums are for preK- 1st grade age. No booklists but the activities are good. I have the Physical Science album.

I consider pretty much everything science activity when it comes to my PK kid. Help mommy bake a cake...science. Dig in the mud....science. Collect bugs and/or watch bugs...science. Dinosaur Train on Netflix....science.

I have a ton of books that are nature and science related. I just read those to him.

I loved Mcruffy for k . I used it for my preschooler and dd in k, Lessons are twice a week. They are quick and easy. They both learned alot. It is only about $80 for the color version new . You get te, student pages and science kit. Most lessons are hands on fun. You can get the black and white version from CBD for about half the price. I would just add in some books.

We've been using elemental science exploring science off and on for prek and will continue it through kindergarten. It's really layed back and fun. there is a 2 or 3 day layout. We just do the 2 day when we do it. It's uses the science play book which is simple and easy for this age. We've had fun when we've used it.

Thanks for the recs! Since posting, I'm leaning towards using Elemental Science. It's inexpensive and I like that there's a 2 year 'pre science' program. And it's laid out in a way that makes it easy to have the younger one sit in as she pleases. I think it will work out really well for both kids for the next couple years.

PreK and K was the years that we did the Magic School Bus science kits and really enjoyed them. Alongside some library books that was plenty for those years.

There's also the guide Science is Simple, which is a great preK science curriculum.

I have grand plans for Kindergarten (and first grade) science. :laugh: I was able to get free IGs for Sonlight Science K and 1, and cheap copies of the Discover & Do videos. My plan is to use Evan-Moor's Daily Science 1 & 2 as a spine and do 4-5 week themes over 2 years. I sorted my various readers/science books into themes, put the Dr. Seuss science books on my wishlist, downloaded the McGraw-Hill online science textbooks, collected the links from the Usborne books, lined up activities like creating a soda bottle biome and hatching butterflies, and plan to use the parts of Sonlight (the Encyclopedia, Starting Point Science, activity pages & Discover and Do) that follow each theme.

I really hope I can make science a priority. I have kind of a full history program lined up too, but I think science is more important.