Menu

Need Advice: Apologia General Science with a non-writer

The content and concepts of Apologia General is definitely attainable for my going into 6th grader. He's already gone through Botany, Zoo 1 & 2. I could do Zoo 3 or Human Anatomy and Physiology with him next year but, having perused the books I'm fairly sure he's already covered (in his free time) everything in them and will get the same, "I already know this" comments that I have this year with him. He struggled to do the Journal for writing this year. I mean really struggled. He could give me elaborate 30 minute descriptions to the questions posed in the section on seals verbally but, ask him to write them down and it dwindled down to... thE sEaL has Ear FlaPs.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. Science this year for him wasn't fun at all (and this is is favorite subject). I was wondering if any of you have ideas on how we can make it work for us. I thought maybe with so many having very young future scientist you might have some ideas I haven't thought of... I can only think to be his scribe...which my husband doesn't think is a good idea as we need him to become more independent in his work.

I need to preface my comments by saying that I think Apologia's General Science text is one of the most abysmal textbooks I have ever encountered........dull and preachy to its core. So, my first inclination for a child that didn't enjoy science last yr would be to get rid of that book. ;)

For 6th grade, he needs to be able to write well. Is he a good writer? Or is his reluctance to write about his science text a general reluctance to write?

If you are using the GS textbook, instead of answering the questions or doing a journal book (I have no idea what that is), I would recommend him outlining the chpt. Another possibility (which is what I have my 6th graders do, but they are not using a textbook) is to alternate his writing assignment to include a science paper every 2-3 weeks and having it go into more depth in a specific area than his current reading topic.

FWIW, I do not see a problem with him giving great oral re-tellings to you of what he is reading instead of answering a bunch of questions in the text.

I see two separate issues, writing and science. I would be concerned that he struggles with writing, and I am sure you work on his writing aside from science, right? So, I'd limit the writing remediation to his English instruction and try to leave it out of science, in order not to damage his interest and enthusiasm about science.

Specifically, this could mean: as 8 suggested, have him outline the text. Great for retention. Discuss the concepts orally. I am not familiar with Apologia,so I don't know what writing tasks there would be involved - but why don't you have him narrate what he read and discuss the end of chapter questions orally? He could also demonstrate mastery by researching a topic and giving an oral presentation with visuals; my kids liked doing this in the middle grades.

I would be very careful to disentangle writing issues from science instruction, because you don't want his writing frustration turn into a dislike of science.

He has been working on writing for 5 years with an occupational therapist, plus daily at home work and will be doing vision therapy over the summer. At present he can write two to three sentences, but past that he gets fatigued and becomes too sloppy to actually be read. With regard to science my son enjoys learning about science. The problem wasn't the approach as much as the content. He's read widely in zoology and quite a bit in oceanography so there wasn't a lot of new information. He would spend all his time watching documentaries and reading animal encyclopedia if I let him. The journals have 10 to 20 review questions, about 2 to 3 project or experiment pages and several more pages with space to write about what they learned and illustrations maybe 15 pages total. I am finding that he is getting to a point in curriculum where his writing skills and his comprehension skills are just so very far apart.

My oldest son did Apologia General this year. I think it was a gentle approach to a more academic higher level text bookish curriculum even though it is very steeped in the religious bend. I think it is a good counter for all the public library books (completely big bang stuff) and the PBS/Discovery type documentaries my son is so fond of. I don't know how to make this or any jr. high curriculum to work for him.

He's read widely in zoology and quite a bit in oceanography so there wasn't a lot of new information. He would spend all his time watching documentaries and reading animal encyclopedia if I let him.

That sounds great for 6th grade - why don't you have him do this?

We do not formal textbook science prior to high school. I consider it much more important to feed the scientific interest, and to create some broad background knowledge, and to do a systematic study in high school on this foundation. DH and I both have doctorates in physics and teach at the university, so we are definitely interested in a strong science education; we find this course prepares our kids well rigorous systematic science studies in high school.

The journals have 10 to 20 review questions, about 2 to 3 project or experiment pages and several more pages with space to write about what they learned and illustrations maybe 15 pages total. I am finding that he is getting to a point in curriculum where his writing skills and his comprehension skills are just so very far apart.

Since you are working on writing and he apparently has an issue there, I would try to give him the conceptual depth that he needs to progress without his writing problems keeping him back. Can you do the experiments and hands-on activities, if he likes this kind of thing? (Mine did not)

My oldest son did Apologia General this year. I think it was a gentle approach to a more academic higher level text bookish curriculum even though it is very steeped in the religious bend. I think it is a good counter for all the public library books (completely big bang stuff) and the PBS/Discovery type documentaries my son is so fond of. I don't know how to make this or any jr. high curriculum to work for him.

You said 6th grade, right? I see no need to use Jr high textbooks (Actually, for a strong student, I see no need to use them ever; my kids begin their formal science studies in high school with college textbooks).

If he loves library books and documentaries, that will give him a wonderful science education and preparation for high school. The most important thing IMO is that he can pursue his interest and have fun with science.