Menu

So I went to our state homeschool convention this weekend...

Dahliarw

...and came home with IEW TWSS and SWI A. I have been interested in this program for a while, and went to a talk by a mom who has used it with her 8 kids and is a certified teacher and I liked what she said and how it works. And I realized with how advanced my younger ds is with reading/writing he could probably do it along with my oldest and I could just modify it a bit if it's too hard. And if it really is above his head I have WWE and EIW 1, so I'm covered. I'm just hoping I didn't waste $250! :p

I also came home with 10 Jim Weiss CDs. Went to one of his talks too. I'm so in love with his voice!

I'll be doing SWI-A with my kids this year. I never made it to a convention this year due to my parents coming to visit, but was hoping to go to a workshop for IEW. I also have the TWSS videos and book. I've watched half of the videos so far...My goal is to finish them before August 1st.

Oh, and I love Jim Weiss' voice too! I could listen to him all day long and not tire of him. I want to buy more of his CDs.

You can do it with younger kids, just make sure the material they are using to make KWOs is super easy to read, as in a year or more behind their normal reading ability. This makes it easy to focus in on the new skill of making the KWO. This still holds true for my 13 year old. The best essays come from material she is either very familiar with or easy to read. My youngest was just turning 7 and did fine with IEW. Another tip is to narrate the KWO back to you the day he writes it and listen as you narrate the one you wrote too. Repeat this again before writing or letting him dictate it to you. My non typists handwrite their own rough drafts (although I have had to write next to really young ones as they write theirs to demonstrate margins and skipping lines), I type them size 18 font triple spaced with all of their misspelled words and grammar punctuation errors; I print them; We polish together; I add polishing corrections to the original and print; We proofread based on their individual rule list; I add corrections, resize, and double space; They choose a border; Final copy is printed and stored.

Best Use of money ever for us. If the younger to follow the oldest, IEW will be used 24 years, less than 11$ a year.

I love IEW and I think you will be happy with your purchase, but remember if for ANY reason you change your mind IEW offers a 100% money back guarantee! Since purchased directly from this you would qualify. I purchased the TWSS at a convention as I was preparing for our first year. I found out a few weeks later that my cover school has that for us to borrow! So I returned it and got a my money back. I have since purchased multiple things from IEW and am so happy with everything we've used!

You can do it with younger kids, just make sure the material they are using to make KWOs is super easy to read, as in a year or more behind their normal reading ability. This makes it easy to focus in on the new skill of making the KWO. This still holds true for my 13 year old. The best essays come from material she is either very familiar with or easy to read. My youngest was just turning 7 and did fine with IEW. Another tip is to narrate the KWO back to you the day he writes it and listen as you narrate the one you wrote too. Repeat this again before writing or letting him dictate it to you. My non typists handwrite their own rough drafts (although I have had to write next to really young ones as they write theirs to demonstrate margins and skipping lines), I type them size 18 font triple spaced with all of their misspelled words and grammar punctuation errors; I print them; We polish together; I add polishing corrections to the original and print; We proofread based on their individual rule list; I add corrections, resize, and double space; They choose a border; Final copy is printed and stored.

Best Use of money ever for us. If the younger to follow the oldest, IEW will be used 24 years, less than 11$ a year.

Thank you! My nearly 6yo who will be a first grader next year is reading Charlotte's Web and James and the Giant Peach and comprehending it fine, so I suspect that the material might already be at an ok level for him. But I figured I could find some easier stuff if he needs it. I do plan on modifying some things to be narrations if that works better for him. Though he may want to write to be like big brother. I'm curious to see how it goes!