Menu

early frontier/pioneer dvds (to go with Sign of the Beaver)

DD is reading The Sign of the Beaver. I was thinking it might be nice to have some DVD's that went along with it. I can't really think of anything except "Last of the Mohicans" :D which seems far too old for her. "Sarah Plain and Tall" and Little House are really a whole different "frontier" than I want (more "plains" style - I would like more woods style). If there was a Little House in the Big Woods movie - that would more like what I am looking for (or a documentary style would be great too). Or maybe I should look at Native American related dvds (I am reading it along with her so don't really know the story yet)?

Any suggestions?

Hmmm... Only thing that came to mind was Light in the Forest. After a google search, I also came up with this collection: Family Adventure Collection, but I don't hold high hopes for super quality movie-making/storytelling...

And yes, Sign of the Beaver is colonial (1700s) pioneer in the woods and Native American.

ETA: I just stumbled across a movie version of Sign of the Beaver (1997) for free on Hulu -- no idea of quality...

My dd read Sign of the Beaver this year, and we watched the movie. It was a little different than the book. But that just made for an interesting conversation about movies versus books. I don't remember anything wildly inappropriate, but I'm possibly a little more lenient than some. You can search for it on Amazon and read some of the reviews if you're interested in other perspectives.

Thanks for the suggestions :) Although ideally we'll wait to watch the book based movie until after we finish it. I was thinking more like "background" similarity - to give dd a picture of that time period in her mind. None of the others are available at our library so I'll keep looking for now.

Hmmm... Only thing that came to mind was Light in the Forest. After a google search, I also came up with this collection: Family Adventure Collection, but I don't hold high hopes for super quality movie-making/storytelling...

And yes, Sign of the Beaver is colonial (1700s) pioneer in the woods and Native American.

ETA: I just stumbled across a movie version of Sign of the Beaver (1997) for free on Hulu -- no idea of quality...

Found Light in the Forest on youtube.