Menu

What do I look for when purchasing a hot tub/spa?

Miss Marple

We got rid of our pool last year and we sort of miss having it - well, not the pool per se, but someplace to hop into to cool down or a place to relax in the evening.

I would like to get it for dh for Father's Day - so that means I'll need to head to the big city :) and find one to have delivered this weekend. I would like a "plug in" type that would seat at least 6.

What do I look for?

I just know that I want the "girls" to be underwater while I am sitting in one.....so it needs to be deep enough. I would also sit in the various seats and see if they are comfortable for you and dh. Also see how realistic it would be to fit 4 or 6 people in the hot tub----is there room for everyone's legs, etc...........esp. if it would be a few couples in there that might not want to be so "close" to each other.

I don't have any input on brands/models though. A hot tub on a deck off the master bedroom was a dream of mine that we didnt' get in this house.

I know you would like to surprise your DH with this, but, I don't think this is something you should buy, without researching it, carefully. Shop with him for it... We don't have any experience with portable outside units. When we built our house, we wanted a Hot Tub, for the Master Bedroom suite. I went by, many times, one place that sold them, and I told my wife, "I don't want to buy one without going there too". We went there and that was the place where we bought it. They had the selection, the expertise, and the guarantee. The man who owned the place came to our house, to finish the installation. The people who built our house installed the tub, but he did the final Plumbing and Electrical work, tested it, etc. Good luck and enjoy!

I know you would like to surprise your DH with this, but, I don't think this is something you should buy, without researching it, carefully. Shop with him for it... We don't have any experience with portable outside units. When we built our house, we wanted a Hot Tub, for the Master Bedroom suite. I went by, many times, one place that sold them, and I told my wife, "I don't want to buy one without going there too". We went there and that was the place where we bought it. They had the selection, the expertise, and the guarantee. The man who owned the place came to our house, to finish the installation. The people who built our house installed the tub, but he did the final Plumbing and Electrical work, tested it, etc. Good luck and enjoy!

Yeah, after looking into it a bit we decided that dad needed to in on the plan :) I had originally though we would get the "plug and play" type using a 110V but it looks like we really want a 220 v. So that means a bit of electrical work. We brought it up last night with him and he thinks it's a great idea. So we'll head off to the various stores next week. There are apparently a LOT of options :)