Menu

Do you have any favorite books on Manners and Etiquette?

I usually think modelling is the best method for teaching these things, and I think my kids are really good in this area, but I also thought it would be fun to use a few books to create discussion points in our family (and to make sure we're not missing anything important!)

Any suggestions?

I'm a big Miss Manners fan but that isn't really a resource for kids. It's fun reading for you, though, if you just want a touchpoint for discussion.

I haven't looked at it in awhile but what about George Washington's etiquette book? I think it was his copywork. Some of it might be dated but that might lend an interesting dimension.

We've been using this book:

http://www.amazon.com/365-Manners-Kids-Should-Know/dp/0307888258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371058672&sr=8-1&keywords=365+manners

I've enjoyed how it brings up things that don't come up that often, but are nice to know. How to behave at a buffet. How to talk with someone about divorce, etc. I do a lot of modelling and teaching in the moment, but the breadth of topics in here has been a handy addition.

My kids adore this book--The Essential 55.

It's not exactly ettiquette, but we've all learned so much about good manners from it. It's been invaluable to me,

It was written by a public school teacher. He lives in the south and was raised with impeccable manners. When he started teaching, he saw that the kids had horrible manners, so he started teaching them basic manners as well as their academics.

Some of his manners involve school situations, but most don't. And some situations work for homeschools. Like, he tells his kids when they go on field trips to thank the people at the field trip facility and gives examples of when his students did that. Now, when we go on field trips, my boys make a point to thank the people there, and I never even prompted them.

This has happened over and over after reading this book. I'll read one of the 55 essentials along with the little story of how this teacher teaches it to his students, or how a child didn't show manners and the consequences of that, and my kids remember it. They love it.

Another example: My kids learned from this book that whenever anyone asks you, "How are you?", you should always answer the question and ask them a question in return, "Great. How are you?" I never promted them to do this and I can't tell you the number of people who are taken aback by this, but in a good way.

I joke with my mom that my kids are much politer than I am, and I attribute it to this little book.