Menu

Teaching Textbooks question

Slipper

We are currently using a combination of Khan Academy and MUS for math. I did a horrible job in math last year. (Short story, my youngest had significant trauma which affected our whole family). Math is my weak point and I didn't do much with it for either child.

My middle daughter is bright and typically tests above 95% in math. This year, she tested in 77%. We decided to change math simply as a fresh start and because she doesn't like MUS.

I've given her the placement tests and she passed 6th grade perfectly. She passed 7th grade perfectly with the exception of one area. She loved the set up of TT.

Should I start her off in 7th grade level for math? She's going into 6th grade, but she really breezed through that test so quickly. She knew most of 7th grade, but she loved the practice areas online for that grade.

I know there are criticisms about TT. Should I use a supplement with it? I really need something with video. I do have a math tutor coming over to help both girls catch up (they both didn't do as well in math as they could last year). I can do math, but I have trouble explaining it.

To sum it up - am I right in placing her in 7th? And do I need a supplement (and if so, why and which one?) We are working in math through the summer to catch up.

I know I always have to pipe up when people are talking about TT being "behind." There was another thread about this recently. You may find it if you search "Teaching Textbooks missing concepts." Though I hear these rumors repeatedly, we have still never heard anyone explain what concepts are missing or exactly which areas are behind in TT. I just don't see it. I have an especially hard time believing TT is behind by almost 2 years. There are always going to be some difference in scope and sequence because all math programs are obviously not identical, but 2 years would be crazy. My ds is doing long division in TT4 right now and that seems to be completely normal from what I know about 4th grade math. If it were 2 years behind that would mean most kids are doing long multiplication and long division with remainders in 2nd grade. Come on. (Not speaking to you, Momto8...) Silly, IMO.

People often compare TT to MUS as if MUS covers topics at a more appropriate grade levels, which I never understand since MUS doesn't cover long division until 4th either (because this is very normal, I'd say). As far as fractions, MUS is even more "behind" if anything because MUS doesn't cover fractions until 5th grade (Epsilon). I think this is completely fine and makes logical sense considering the way MUS is laid out. I'm not saying this is not OK. I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense to compare TT as the "behind" program and MUS as the higher standard.

So, point being, just take the "TT is behind" stuff with a giant grain of salt.

I don't know that a supplement is even necessary but if you do decide to use one, my advice would be to use something that IS a supplement or lends itself to that easily... like MCP Math, or Khan Academy, or some free stuff off the internet. Some people would have you buy a whole other math curriculum which I think would be overkill. If you *did* need to use a whole other curriculum as a "supplement", what's the point of using the first program, ya know? Just my 2 cents.

In your situation, I would follow the TT placement instructions for TT 7:

The student is probably ready for Math 7 if he/she makes the following scores on the two

sections.

10 or more correct on Section 1 (problems 1 – 15)

and 8 or more correct on Section 2 (problems 16 – 30),

If the student’s score falls below this level, the Math 6 Teaching Textbook is probably a better

starting point.

If you could see that it really is only a few concepts from the TT 7 placement test that she's missing, perhaps you could hit those specific skills over the summer and then give her the placement test again? Then at least you could be a bit more confident about putting her in TT 7.

Remember that the placement tests are designed to cover material up to the level you're looking at to make sure they are ready to start that level. So breezing through the placement test for TT6 doesn't mean that she will already know all the concepts taught in TT6 and it will be redundant. It would mean that she's well-prepared to start TT6. Ya know?

Thanks for the clarification. I had searched yesterday about Teaching Textbooks but was still confused after reading the threads. I had misunderstood the placement tests so that absolutely helps me. She passed the placement test for TT level 7, but the parts she missed were in a specific area so it was obvious there was a gap.

About supplements, my thoughts were that if there was a gap in something like word problems, I would just address that area. For a supplement, I would want something small because she will have a fairly large school load (by her request to take some extra things that she is interested in).

I think I will purchase TT 7 and since we have a math tutor for the summer, she can help target the gaps that come up. My hope is that DD will be on solid ground once summer is over and not need the tutor.

I think your plan to use TT7 with your 6th grader should work out just fine. I used it this past school year with my 6th grader. For 7th grade, he will be doing TT Pre-algebra. This summer I am supplementing with Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals/ Percents.

If your child was able to go though TT 7 without a problem you may find it might be better to go straight to TT Algebra 1. The Pre-Alg level is more for kids who had a tougher time with 7 and need the extra year of practice.

I know there are criticisms about TT. Should I use a supplement with it?

I just wanted to pop in for a second concerning the criticisms about TT. My 22 year old daughter is an RN student with 2 other degrees under her belt already. TT was the first math program she "got" and actually liked when she was homeschooled. Since using TT iduring her high school years, she's made all A's in her college math classes, had no problems with any math in her science classes and has been teaching homeschooled students of all ages (elementary through high school) math as a part time job to put her through college.

She is a total success when it comes to math and TT was part of that.

Don't be scared off by all the claims that TT isn't rigorous enough or behind or whatever. This is about finding what works for YOUR child and TT can be a successful part of your homeschool. As for supplementing, if your family loves math and you want your kids introduced to other ways of doing it, then by all means feel free to do so. When my daughter used TT though, that's all she used at the time. One math program was enough for her. I supplemented during her elementary years though with Singapore when she was using Math U See.

I WILL be supplementing TT when I get around to using it with my youngest. That's just because he needs concepts to be shown in a multitude of ways before they stick. Right now though he's taking things slow and repeating some concepts before we get to TT algebra. I'm currently using the Practical Arithmetics series to shore up some skills. I'm really enjoying that series of books.

Anyway, I just didn't want you to be scared away from TT. I get tired of hearing how horrible and lacking it is. It's a good program that served my daughter very well and laid a great foundation for her current success.

IMHO, TT just doesn't have as much review built in as other programs. I don't think it's behind, it's just designed for homeschoolers and it's done differently than other math programs. It's more efficient and to the point.

IMHO, TT just doesn't have as much review built in as other programs. I don't think it's behind, it's just designed for homeschoolers and it's done differently than other math programs. It's more efficient and to the point.

We've pretty much always used TT and if people think it doesn't have much review built in then I would hate to see other programs. My dd complains that its got to much review and I agree but I also have a child that doesn't need a lot of review unless were talking fractions lol:) There are 20-22 problems with each lesson if I remember right and at least half of that is review of earlier lessons I think.

We've pretty much always used TT and if people think it doesn't have much review built in then I would hate to see other programs.

That's what I was thinking. :001_smile: I would say it has an above-average amount of review.

I just looked up a random lesson in the TT book and there were the typical 5 practice problems (a, b, c, d, e) and then a set of problems 1-20. Of those 20 problems, 6 of them had to do with what was learned that lesson and the other 14 were all from previous lessons. I think that's one of the great things about TT... if you make sure your dc is doing well on every single lesson (scoring 90% or more), there is SO much review that there's no way they can end up with a big learning gap at the end of the level.

If your child was able to go though TT 7 without a problem you may find it might be better to go straight to TT Algebra 1. The Pre-Alg level is more for kids who had a tougher time with 7 and need the extra year of practice.

Thanks for the suggestion, but math is my son's weakest subject. He definitely needs the extra year of practice. =)

We started out using CLE, and there is more review in CLE than TT. There are more problems per lesson, and extra practice worksheets. My guess is that Saxon, Singapore and most of the other major math programs have more problems per lesson, and more review than TT. It's how classroom programs are usually designed. For us all the extra work was tedious, which is why we're happy with TT. It's been my experience that the lessons are shorter in TT, and that is why some people think it's an inferior program. In reality, it's just more streamlined. That was really the point I was trying to make. Based on my experience, and my opinion ;) .

Thanks for the replies. We did order TT 7 and she'll use it during the summer. If anything comes up during the review portion, her tutor will help her with it. My hope is that she'll do great with it.

Another question, if anyone is still following the thread, what do you use for high school math? If a child is able to do calculus in high school, what was used?

I just wanted to pop in for a second concerning the criticisms about TT. My 22 year old daughter is an RN student with 2 other degrees under her belt already. TT was the first math program she "got" and actually liked when she was homeschooled. Since using TT iduring her high school years, she's made all A's in her college math classes, had no problems with any math in her science classes and has been teaching homeschooled students of all ages (elementary through high school) math as a part time job to put her through college.

She is a total success when it comes to math and TT was part of that.

Don't be scared off by all the claims that TT isn't rigorous enough or behind or whatever. This is about finding what works for YOUR child and TT can be a successful part of your homeschool. As for supplementing, if your family loves math and you want your kids introduced to other ways of doing it, then by all means feel free to do so. When my daughter used TT though, that's all she used at the time. One math program was enough for her. I supplemented during her elementary years though with Singapore when she was using Math U See.

I WILL be supplementing TT when I get around to using it with my youngest. That's just because he needs concepts to be shown in a multitude of ways before they stick. Right now though he's taking things slow and repeating some concepts before we get to TT algebra. I'm currently using the Practical Arithmetics series to shore up some skills. I'm really enjoying that series of books.

Anyway, I just didn't want you to be scared away from TT. I get tired of hearing how horrible and lacking it is. It's a good program that served my daughter very well and laid a great foundation for her current success.

. Thanks for sharing. I hate that TT gets a bad rap. I love hearing success stories!